Whitby Jet? Glass? Cat

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Oct 1, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on what Felix here is made of?
    Would Whitby Jet be that colour with a light through?. Similar result with a white light.
    He’s about an inch high.
    Thanks
    :)
    169318FF-7DF9-41BA-A733-347F062D276F.jpeg 586FE23F-2DDA-40D0-AE2F-8E1340D6B64C.jpeg AA249FB0-28D7-44ED-892B-04C14F2E5DA3.jpeg F371D380-7929-4DD0-8DCB-F23F02FF0E7B.jpeg

NewEngland and kyratango like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Cute! Glass for me :)

KSW likes this.
  3. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I used to collect those tiny glass animals. They were toys found in Christmas Crackers and Cracker Jack boxes. They are pressed glass - made in Czechoslovakia. Most of the time, they have rhinestone eyes and little brass collars with bells or tiny beads. The collars are usually marked "Made in Czechoslovakia". There are also monkeys, dogs, santa figures, rabbits. Very sweet collectibles!

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou. Sadly missing a collar but I have plenty of tiny rhinestones to give him his sight back!.

kyratango, Xristina and NewEngland like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Google couldn't tell me- is Whitby Jet completely opaque?. Just so I know for the future!

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Glass. Jet is far denser. A good test is to rub jet very gently on unglazed china - inside of a loo tank works - you'll get a black smear.

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Jet is so black it is reflective like a mirror, its blacker than black :D

Whitby Jet will never fade or crack over time and will leave a brown mark when rubbed on unglazed porcelain.

KSW and kyratango like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ok, I get it, it's very black :hilarious:

kyratango likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

OH will have my guts for garters if I start taking the bathroom apart. He's already grumpy about the time I spend in a dark closet with a UV light.....

Jivvy, kyratango, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted