White coral bird carving

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by J Dagger, Jan 24, 2021.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

4C0724B0-71C3-4770-8974-F229939D2E02.jpeg Has anyone seen something like this? It’s my first time seeing soft white coral carved like this. I would imagine it’s more of a tourist item than a tribal carving but maybe I’m wrong. Figured I would put it in this forum anyway. Looks like Pacific Islanders did carve this type of coral for their own use at some point based on some google results. Standard credit card size for scale.

judy likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im just not seeing a bird ?

judy, Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. J Dagger

May not be. Definitely doesn’t look like wings but I thought the head looked like a bird. Turtle? Edit: backside is raw and indented, so no clues there. Edit 2: something about that first edit doesn’t sound right...

Potteryplease and judy like this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I don't see a bird, either. Looks just like a piece of coral, not even sure it has been carved.

J Dagger, PortableTreasures and judy like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like a piece of beach tumbled coral.

J Dagger, PortableTreasures and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I saw a teddy bear.:wacky:
    It isn't carved, it is natural, the way you would find it on a beach.:)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    J Dagger and judy like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Aquarium decor?

J Dagger likes this.
  8. J Dagger

It didn’t occur to me once, even for a second that this wasn’t carved to form an animal shape. I suppose it could be the case but I picked it up off someone’s shelf and immediately saw a bird. You may be able to sell me a few clouds if this is the case. Good thing it was in one of those piles of stuff you pay $2 for in the last mins of a sale.

Potteryplease likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted