White Furniture Co., Sheridan style (?) desk

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lisa Woodward, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Lisa Woodward

Lisa Woodward New Member

I am from South Louisiana—abt 120 miles E of NOLA.
    In the 1950’s, my grandparents drove to a nice hotel in downtown NO. The hotel was remodeling and replacing the furniture in the hotel. There was not much, if any, A/C at that time. They purchased a small desk, made by The White Furniture Co., Mebane, NC. South Louisiana humidity is not very kind to furniture, much less veneer.
    The top of the desk has an interesting feature that I’ve not seen before. There are two 1” factory drilled holes on the top of the desk, 6 inches from the front and 10 inches from either end. The edge of the desk has a moulding that is 3/8’s inch higher than the existing top. It is my guess that a removable insert (due to the holes accessible within when the drawer is pulled out) of some kind was once placed on the top. I have tried, for many years and with no success, to find out what may have occupied the top. I can’t get a pic that is less than 1M.
    Can anyone out there help me?
    Kindest regards,
    Lisa Anne

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Lisa Anne, I can't help you but you wait a bit and sure someone else will come along who can.

Debora

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

What would be 120 miles east of NOLA, other than Panama Beach, Florida?
    (serious question, I was born and raised in New Orleans)

@Lisa Woodward , take some photos of details, along with the whole piece and email them to yourself from your cell phone on "Medium" size and use them. Then, please do post them here! Be sure to click on "Full Size" ONLY ONCE at the very top, when you see the thumbnails all lined up at the bottom of your post. Thanks!

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Wait, I had to google map it. Florida is much farther away, sorry! Did you grow up around the Chandelier Islands area? WHAT is EAST of NOLA besides the Gulf of Mexico? ;)

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  5. CindyC

CindyC New Member

Hi Lisa Anne, You might try calling Hickory White Hickory bought White Furniture Co. in the 80s. They might be able to help you. My dad was the plant manager of White Furniture Co. If he were still around, I would ask him for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2020
    antidiem and judy like this.
  6. CindyC

CindyC New Member

Inserted a period back in the text where it was removed by the editor. They also removed the link to the company site, so just google it.

Draft saved Draft deleted