White Hogan Modernist sterling bracelet makers mark, Navajo?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Does anyone recognise the makers mark on this White Hogan sterling bracelet? And the period? It is pretty iconic for The White Hogan.
    The bottom two pictures are of the same marks, first hogan side up, then sterling side up.
    Thanks for looking.

ec010140-dccf-11e6-9f5a-8c58e8169576 (640x524).jpg DSC07321 (640x557).jpg DSC07318 (640x427).jpg DSC07322 (640x441).jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Just found it, Allen Kee. Still don't know the period, though, 1950s?

komokwa and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Yes, this would date to the 1950s. White Hogan was a Scottsdale shop owned by Virginia and John Bonnell, who hired Navajo silversmiths to produce their modern interpretations of silver jewelry.

The Bonnells were not Native American, but they encouraged their employees to add their own hallmarks, along with the shop mark to the pieces they made. It's important to remember that these were not one-of-a-kind items, but designs that were reproduced by the silversmiths for the White Hogan shop. Any given design could be made by any of the main silversmiths.

Allen Kee moved back to the Navajo Reservation in 1962, and produced relatively little jewelry after that. His cousins, Kenneth Begay, and George and Ivan Kee, also left White Hogan but continued to produce work on their own.

4. Any Jewelry

Thanks, Taupou.
    I did see several White Hogan bracelets like this one online, often with more bands. I was lucky to get this one for a relatively low price, the seller had no idea what it was, but I recognised the hogan mark.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    judy and komokwa like this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

6. Any Jewelry

Yes, wow indeed! Gorgeous to see, but too heavy to wear, for me at least.
    Needless to say, that is nowhere near what I paid for my more modest one.

7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Have been a fan of the White Hogan modernist pieces by Kenneth Begay and the Kee brothers since my Mom added the George Kee shaker salt spoon below to her collection well over thirty years ago...

georgekeesaltspoonI1a.jpg
    georgekeesaltspoonI1b.jpg

George Kee's son Anthony, also a silversmith, had a section on his website (apparently no longer active) about his dad, uncles and their cousin. It was a rather lovely tribute - some of the information and images from that page were used on this page: http://www.beyondbuckskin.com/2012/03/native-moderns-white-hogan.html?m=1

~Cheryl

8. Any Jewelry

Cheryl, it is lovely, it would be more than enough to make me a fan too.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted