White jade find?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Sep 3, 2017.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Found this today for $3 so I thought why not... My last experience with jade didn't turn out but maybe this will? Similar examples online seem to have some sort of brown stone mixed with the white jade. Does anyone think maybe this is jade? Hand carved for sure, I'd think it was older but the eyes look cemented in place which is an indication it might not be that old. Thoughts anyone? 20170903_191902_resized.jpg 20170903_191910_resized.jpg 20170903_191917_resized.jpg 20170903_191933_resized.jpg 20170903_191942_resized.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

The layering/banding makes me think it could be alabaster - or perhaps even agate. If it's nephrite(or agate) it should be able to scratch glass. If it's alabaster, you should be able to scratch it with glass.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks more like travertine/Mexican onyx.

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Agreed... that's really the word I was looking for when I said alabaster. A hardness/scratch test would definitely ID it for sure.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you need a good book on jade.....or some serious screen time....if you wish to find any in your travels !!

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  6. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

One of the things someone said recently on here that made sense to me is that nobody is going to waste a good piece of quality jade with poor carving. I can't remember who said that but it made sense to me.

komokwa, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a cute Mexican onyx carving.
    Jade does not have those onyx like striations. Also no agate like banding, no organized looking crystal structures. There can be hairlines. When seen through a good loupe, jade structure is messy, with tiny curled bits of 'thread'.
    If you're hoping to find jade, it is best to get some jade knowledge first, as Komo said.

Draft saved Draft deleted