White metal Ink pot

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Sepia, May 26, 2019.

1. Sepia

Sepia Member

Can anybody help me identify this inkstand? The only discernable markings are the numbers 515 on the back of one of the legs. Obviously not precious metal in any way but would like to know a bit more than just "That's nice". The acanthus leaves suggest Victorian, maybe 1890's. Bought at a local market book sellers stall.

Attached Files:

Miscstuff, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Sepia. If your passion is inkstands, pens, etc., perfect member name.

It is always better to post photos full size & to provide images from several sides, including bottom, even if blank. :)

[​IMG]

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'll just comment that it looks like plated brass rather than 'white metal'. Others likely to have other opinions.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Sepia

Sepia Member

Hi Bronwen, I'll try and get some more photos. The ones I'd taken were too big for this site so I just posted the one. Will see what I can do.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and judy like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

If you took them on your phone, then email them to yourself as medium. This should take care of the size issue. If on your computer, right click the image and look for a resize option. Medium here, too.

Christmasjoy, judy and Bronwen like this.
  6. Sepia

Sepia Member

Thanks for that, as you can see I've added more photos. The metal looks very tarnished in this but I think it could be Britannia metal or pewter. Maybe a bit of a buff up will help it. I don't believe in over polishing as this removes any patina so I'm afraid it's a very basic cleaning with a damp cloth and that's about it unless it's been particularly over painted [see my comments in furniture]

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2019-5-26_16-22-27.jpeg

" That's nice " ..... sorry, but u asked 4 that !! :p:p:p:rolleyes:

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!