Featured Whiting & Davis Elsah Metal Mesh Bag - Date?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 1, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I strongly resisted this bag, as I know nothing about the subject. I actually walked home and waited until the store almost closed before I called and paid for it over the phone. They have a lot of fine purses at this shop, but they also have an expert who prices them high (and they get it). I had read about these metal mesh purses here, so I thought it was unique enough to buy it and ask. It is 7 inches long and 4 inches wide. Can anyone help with a date?

thumbnail_IMG_7955.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7962.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7961.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7957.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7960.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7959.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7956.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7958.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7967.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. KikoBlueEyes

I know. :)

kyratango, pearlsnblume, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It's lovely! I would've wanted it, too!

5. KikoBlueEyes

I tried hard to forget it, but I loved the color.

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I love it! I can feel your indecision from here, I’ve been there, walking out of a shop, back in again and out.
    I think you made an excellent decision.
    @Ownedbybear is a bag expert.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think one becomes the other….

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's such an interesting thought... That the shape of the bag would mimic the shape of the dress. Like men's ties and lapels. (The wider the tie, the wider the lapel and the reverse.) Late '20s as above confirmed by the brand's web site.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 6.03.58 AM.png

11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

OMG that's fabulous!

The Whiting & Davis website confirms the painted "flat Armor mesh" as starting in the late 20s. However, you have an El-Sah bag, which was a collaboration with Elsa Schiaparelli, which wasn't until the 30s.

(Edited to include website link.)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen and bought beaded necklaces which do the same thing: follow the line of the dress. If you look at evening bag styles, especially, they can be dated by the way the profile mimics frocks or whatever. Jewellery does this too. Ties and lapels are an excellent example.

Good point on El-Sah. I'd surmise this was a 20s style which they then used a slightly later frame on.

13. KikoBlueEyes

So, you do it too. :) They wanted a lot of money for something that I don't even know how to display and admire. I don't have any flat cases. But that didn't stop me from forking over the cash. I think it's OBB fault. :D She's the addict.

14. KikoBlueEyes

Great article. When I started to research these bags, I saw the earlier ones which don't photograph well, so it is hard to appreciate them from afar. I didn't see the reason for the fringe on the bottom of a purse, but now that you mention it, I can see the connection.
    I find researching something without any prior knowledge is hazardous because there is a lot of incorrect information out there and it is hard to assess what is correct. Thanks for the article about the company. It's fascinating to see how one person can make such a difference both Whiting and the forman who kept the company going.
    Thank you very much.

KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Pearls. I'm glad you enjoyed this post. It is, isn't it.

16. KikoBlueEyes

So true. Your knowledge makes you appreciate each piece more than the average person. A rabbit hole.

17. KikoBlueEyes

I didn't see they had a website. I'll have to go look. I hadn't realized the tie and lapel connection. Thank you

18. KikoBlueEyes

Perfect. I wanted to narrow down the date. I couldn't tell from looking the various sellers' sites, what was real and what was copypasta. I wasn't sure about the dash. I put it in the title of my post and then took it out thinking it was a scratch. The letters are uneven like it was stamped by hand rather than a machine. Thank you.

KSW likes this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

I hadn't realized that jewelry followed fashion. What a dummy I am. Of course, when necklines plunge jewelry becomes longer, etc. This can be a clue to age. Thank you.

20. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I wouldn't have thought that Schiaparelli would have allowed her name (on the frame) to be used on an "older" (previous decade) bag?

Draft saved Draft deleted