Featured Whiting/Gorham S&P

Discussion in 'Silver' started by i need help, Feb 16, 2020.

1. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Holy cow. It's certainly a lot less than half of what the seller of that pair is asking. :wideyed:

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  3. i need help

Thank you, Bakers! It’s the only other ones I can find. I just couldn’t tell if it’s a transition from Whiting to Gorham or some important time period. :)

4. Bakersgma

Not sure that to make of the combination of the Whiting Mfg Co mark and the gothic G in a square. I've been looking to see if any of my resources mentions a mark like this after the purchase of the Whiting firm by Gorham in 1926 and have not found any. Nor have I found just the G in a square as an official Gorham mark. The picture of the marks on eBay has such a gold look, I wonder if it's for "gold plated over sterling?" Rainwater does have an example of a gold mark for Gorham, but it's more than just what appears here.

5. i need help

6. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Does yours have any broken glass sections? If not, even without the lid it would make a nice little vase.

Figtree3, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

No broken glass, that’s a good idea, a bud vase. :happy:

8. Bakersgma

The extra mark on that biscuit jar (do they even use glass for tobacco?) loooks even less like a G for Gorham - plus it has the remains of a 925/1000 "fine" notation that I don't think Gorham would have used. (although they did use it on the Martele line.)

9. i need help

So from this chart the S&P is Whiting year 1891?
    Based on the model #.
    http://www.silvercollection.it/USASILWHITING.html

Maybe that’s the letter mark referred to here:

DATING WHITING SILVER BY CONSTRUCTION NUMBER (1880-1894)
    Beginning about 1880, Whiting stamped its hollowware with a sequential number, essentially a design number, allowing the designs and objects to be systematically tracked. The objects were marked also with a letter (A through Z) apparently indicating an alternative ornamental scheme.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Interesting. I have not seen another reference to "date letters" prior to the 1905-1924 geometric symbols. Rainwater makes no mention. Not sure where the owner of that site found that.

I think we need to call in Cheryl. @DragonflyWink

judy, Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  11. Bakersgma

12. i need help

13. Bakersgma

Well, I don't know about that. That's a guess that makes no sense to me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    i need help likes this.
  14. i need help

Thank you for all your time on this Bakers! :)
    Maybe Cheryl will know about it.

judy likes this.
  15. Bakersgma

You're welcome, as always! I hope Cheryl will weigh in.

judy and i need help like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@i need help, Is this a broken section on the PAIR being advertised???? Or just reflection??? AND, they ARE GORGEOUS!!!! Even to find just one without a top.....NICE....LIKING the bud vase idea a LOT!!! If you buy then sell, be sure to put a pretty flower or two in it!!:happy::happy:

STER BLOWOUT.jpg

17. i need help

35E1A83B-D65E-4F2A-BBA6-FE53858B3B79.jpeg A56388FD-96CE-4616-ACCE-5A50CCC24BE5.jpeg
    Thanks Aqui, this is not the one I’m looking at. It is the same, but this had clearer marks.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW! If "yours" is as well silvered around the top, you DON'T NEED a top!!!!!!!!!! That looks just FINE without one!!!!!
    EDIT: HAHA! I don't think I'd be able to sell!! That's just me!! Whichever color!!:joyful::joyful::joyful:

19. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I've seen that same Old English letter mark on Whiting before, and Gorham and Durgin marks were stamped together, guessing that's the reason that Scott suspected Gorham. Found no information on the mark in Carpenter.

Regarding the chart on Giorgio's site, I haven't seen it before either, may have come from an article published somewhere - should keep in mind that if pattern numbers are in sequential order, it's only an indicator of when it was designed, not when made, and the additional letters mentioned were added when the pattern was modified with additional chasing, engraving, etching, etc., and I've never seen other than a serif letter, often engraved rather than stamped.

The 'Patent Applied For' may apply to the design or it may be for the blown glass technique (which may not have belonged to Whiting), these pieces were made in green and blue in addition to the red, somewhere in the back of my mind, think one of the open salts appears in one of my books, but not able to look right now.

On value - look for items that actually sold rather than just asking prices.

That's all I've got, have a new Gorham book, doubt there's anything relevant in it, but can look later - gotta run now...

~Cheryl

20. i need help

Thank you so much for the information, Cheryl! :)
    I haven’t been able to find any SOLD ones.
    I will re-read and try to look some more, while trying to decide.

Draft saved Draft deleted