Who am I? Greek mythology mystery woman in this brooch

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Marko, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift for 50 cents yesterday. I have researched it for hours. I know the male figure is Hermes/Mercury, but who could the female figure be? I don't think it is Athena/Minerva, only because the figure is depicted nude. The figure is holding a pole axe; my only guess is that the female could be Iris, female messenger of the gods.

The intaglio? is carved from the top; the back is faceted; it is set in goldtone metal, no markings. I am wondering if it is Venetian glass.

Has anyone seen this particular carving/art depiction before?

Thanks. Hermes Brooch.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Owww...how naughty !!
    I think Mercury had a lot of randy girlfriends !!!:hilarious:

judy and Marko like this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I vote for Iris. She is pictured with a thingie like that, sometimes nude. Since Mercury and she were the Gods messengers, they make a nice pair.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Marko likes this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Hmmmmmm... the seller says she thinks it is Aphrodite... I'm sill fond of the Iris hypothesis, although I did read that Mercury seduced Aphrodite...

6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Visiting the link Hollyblue provided, here is a picture from that site of a similar pendant and how the seller turned it into a silver pendant- wow!
    hermes aphrodite.jpg

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have not found any goddess connected with Hermes who carried a weapon except for Athena. And she carried a spear, not whatever that is. (She and Hermes were said to be siblings.) However, it's probably not her, as Marko mentioned. She always wears a helmet and it's unlikely that she would be depicted in the nude.

It seems most likely to be Aphrodite, although that weapon is way out of place.

I don't find any myths that connect Iris with Hermes. Yes, they were both messengers. Her main attribute was the rainbow, though. Once again, no staff or weapon.

So I think it most likely that this is an inaccurate depiction of Hermes with Aprodite. She might just be holding the weapon for visual balance in the image. But this could be wrong.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And is that a fish at the bottom of the cast silver one?? HA!!! I like them ALL!!!!!
    Edit: Also, is that true...."precious metal clay that turns to .999 pure silver after firing in a kiln"????? WHO knew????

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Iris does carry a figure-eight thingie like that in some pieces, but I'm leaning towards Aphrodite just out of the frequent pairing b of the couple.

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Yes there is precious metal clay. I have seen it before.
    greg

11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thanks Greg, I love the stuff I learn here!!! I just have to remember it!!!:happy::happy::happy::happy:

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  13. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Maybe Aphrodite showed up wearing some of Ares gear- those two were quite the pair.

14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Hmmmm..... looking at the silver casting, it seems the female figure is wearing limited clothing.... armor breast plate? Short skirt? If so, I vote Athena.....

15. Ladybranch

BTW, seeing Aphrodite/Venus carrying on with someone, sitting on someone's knee, I feel the male should be Mars/Ares. In Greek mythology the adulerous affair of Aphrodite and Mars is depicted numerous times in art. I have tried and tried to make this male be Mars rather tham Mercury/Hermes, but with that winged helmut, there is no doubt that the maker intented it to be Hermes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_(mythology)#/media/File:Mars_and_Venus_MAN_Napoli_Inv9248.jpg

--- Susan

16. Ladybranch

Oops, Marko beat me to the punch on Mars!

--- Susan

17. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Besides the winged helmet, he carries the cadduesus staff.

18. Ladybranch

BTW, Aphrodite and Mercury/Hernes did have an affair or rather she was seduced by him. They had a child called Hermaphroditus. The child was originally a he, but later was transformed into an androgyny!

--- Susan

19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Both Aphrodite and Hermes got around. :) That link to the cufflinks is great! I cannot find this depiction in the art world anywhere, even though the cufflink box mentions the word "museum."

20. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I googled "Museum Masterpiece Cufflinks" and see there are a few depictions of this scene in different types of cufflinks. I can't believe I passed up pair of Dante Museum Collection cufflinks (not this scene, another one) at an antique mall for $9.

Draft saved Draft deleted