Who Are The Characters On This Pitcher?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Dec 4, 2019.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm guessing that are not specific characters, but based on satirical fashion caricatures (a la Isaac Cruikshank) or more contemporary cartoonists like Rowland Emett and Ronald Searle. Illustrations of this type were popular in the early 1960s.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    anundverkaufen and judy like this.
  3. kardinalisimo

I was thinking 19th century maybe but could be way off.

judy likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Both scenes seem to be cartoons of women bossing/belittling men. Gigot sleeves are a fashion of the late 19th century.

kyratango and judy like this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Is the flower a poppy?

Bronwen likes this.
  6. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

First scene looks to us to simply be a well-to-do woman indicating to a footman or carriage driver where she'd like her bags to be put. No bossing or belittling implied. Second scene looks like some lanky military type correcting some disgruntled John Bull stereotype. No bossing, belittling, or women detected.

judy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

You don't see that dress & hourglass figure as belonging to a woman?

judy likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

No.
    He's got lamb chop mustache and beard.
    I think that is a cape, not a dress.

Silver lustreware. Most likely English, but could be American pottery.
    The figures look somewhat French. Although my first thought was Dickens.

9. Bronwen

Looking again, I see trousers. Think he's meant to be Prussian. My first thought was also Dickens. Did Weller ware ever look like this?

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Dickens, I reckon.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My first thought was also Dickens. The gigot sleeves were fashionable in his day, along with that shorter, wide skirt.
    In the first scene the man could be shown to his lodgings.

12. kardinalisimo

Few closeups. CC984E26-6B7C-4703-A255-C396EA4878E8.jpeg 3D633850-8FDC-42F0-9B5B-214897FFB7FF.jpeg 66D3D2A4-D9CC-49CA-9BD7-996ED80AAF16.jpeg 6C14BA46-7C71-49FF-9D48-9E8F18EAEB37.jpeg 6D9DE491-EAB8-479E-A2B3-3666B8D183C7.jpeg

kyratango likes this.
  13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I don't think American. Anything over here with scenes like these would have been imported - most likely from England or France. Weller did a line called Dickens but it was pottery and usually with fairly vibrant colors on a dark background.

I thought the first scene was a woman leading a traveler to a room. I wondered if it might have been hotel ware. Perhaps the second scene is a man being turned away from the same hotel? In the picture immediately above this post I think I might see a signature next to the gentleman's sleeve. Something like Caninus? Dogs not allowed?
    Don

14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You're on the right path, Cheryl! Very similar cartoon drawing style.

Draft saved Draft deleted