Featured Who dunnit, please. Amberina shallow large bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, Dec 17, 2020.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

24E268DE-0686-44EA-A768-F2D4B7E64D0E.jpeg 39F6A7FF-FBF6-4A0D-8648-71F09181D63A.jpeg DEC2C163-C7B1-4BB4-8CA3-513FBA9D1D7F.jpeg

I could not come up with anything like it. Any help is very much appreciated

thank you!!

2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

several companies made very similar design; think this may be Indiana Glass #315 Monticello c1960s-80s

The Williamsburg pattern by Tiffin, the Monticello pattern by Indiana and the Mount Vernon pattern by Imperial Glass are very similar

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Just a minor point, anymore. Amberina glass when first introduced was lead glass with gold in it. This is lime glass with cadmium and selenium in it. Yes, it has the shading yellow to red. But its' not the same yellow, not the same red as Amberina. While I can't offer a better name, I would wish that only the 'old stuff' were called Amberina.

4. gauntlettgems

Oh! That is good to know. Now I will have to try to look up the older stuff to compare. Everyone refers to this as amberina and I am such a novice and have so much to learn. I do want to learn the right things and appreciate the help. Maybe I should call it bi-color

KikoBlueEyes and pixieforpapa like this.
  5. gauntlettgems

Thanks! At least it is a starting point for me to look things up. I have so much to absorb!!! I hope all is well

KikoBlueEyes and pixieforpapa like this.
  6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

I think this may be the color Indiana Glass called 'Sunset'; bowls were often used to make baskets in this pattern for Tiara.

Sunset description from Tiara site:
    For hundreds of years true Ruby glass was made by adding gold to the batch. The major problem is producing the desired color occurred flashed or reheated. Sometimes this "flashing" produced a color which was much to dark to be desirable. A breakthrough came with the discovery of the addition of selenium to produce a ruby color. It is selenium that gives Tiara's Sunset glass as the piece was being finished. The finishing process incorporated a method called "Striking the color" in which the pressed piece was the subtlety of color and nuances of shading that are obtainable in no other pressed glass.

OR... maybe their Fiery Ruby described as:
    Ruby is defined as "a red variety of corundum, used as a gem." Our Fiery Ruby is a perfect example of how the sparkle and beauty of a gem can be reflected in glassware by skilled craftsperson's. It is a striking color that develops when the piece is reheated. Selenium in combination with cadmium sulfide is the coloring agent Tiara's Fiery Ruby.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  7. gauntlettgems

I love old glass Very interesting TY!

8. gauntlettgems

Hi guys. It is Indiana Monticello in sunset. Yay!! U all are wonderful. Happy holidays!

Figtree3 and TallCakes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted