Who is the artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Richard Arthur, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Attached Files:

• b 1.JPG
      b 1.JPG
      File size:
      154 KB
      Views:
    • b 2.JPG
      b 2.JPG
      File size:
      182.7 KB
      Views:
    • b 3.JPG
      b 3.JPG
      File size:
      172.6 KB
      Views:
    • b 4.JPG
      b 4.JPG
      File size:
      175 KB
      Views:
    • b 5.JPG
      b 5.JPG
      File size:
      128.6 KB
      Views:
    Jivvy likes this.
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I can't help but . . . I just want to say that I am smitten with the cute pup in the pretty basket. ;)

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sorry but that's an (unsuccessful) stretch. Your painting is a rather ordinary Victorian genre painting which is of a quality unlikely to have been exhibited at the Royal Academy. Lord George Montagu Bennet was a miniaturist of society subjects. Here is an example of his work, a portrait of Princess Victoria Mary of Teck (later Queen Mary.)

Debora

FORUM Bennet Miniature.jpg

Fid, Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can't help either.....just getting it up here FULL SIZE.....after uploading your images, please click on the TOP THUMBNAIL.....says "UPLOAD ALL IMAGES FULL SIZE" Thank you so much!!!! At first glance, I actually thought it was a print..........

b 1.JPG

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Thank you for your input. Upon further research it has been discovered that the G is in fact a C. A black light shows the signature to be of C S Bennet a Swedish painter 1800-1878. He was known for landscapes but did child portraits.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't mean to be contrary but... are you sure of your attribution? The Swedish artist Carl Stefan Bennet appears to have been a painter of great subtlety and he died in 1878. I would very much doubt that your painting dates to before then.

FORUM Bennet.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's the type of portrait he did. Yours is not a portrait; it's a genre painting.

Debora

FORUM C.S. Bennet.jpg

Houseful, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  8. Here is a genre painting of his. There are several I have found that are not as refined, and the signatures match. The stretcher frame is also European from the 19th century. Carl Stefan Bennet lived during the Victorian Era.

cs.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Much of C. S. Bennet's work is early- to mid-Victorian but his taste was formed in the Romantic Era. (He was born in 1800 and had a well-established career before Victoria came to the throne in 1837.) There is nothing about your painting that indicates it is a work by him beyond -- you say -- the signature. (A comparison of the two would be helpful for the rest of us.) As you know, signatures can be faked and often are. I don't know what your intention is but, if it's resale, I would (respectfully) suggest you be cautious about the attribution. (And, by way, I wouldn't call the above a genre painting; it appears to be a regional costume study.)

Debora

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3, Houseful and aaroncab like this.
  11. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I was just in the midst of asking for a pic of the sig, but I see @Debora has sorted it.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sorted!

Debora

Houseful and Jivvy like this.
  13. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Well done Debora and I am glad you were able to help Richard.:)

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

This is a perfect example of a work of art that has been copied - not necessarily to fool anyone, but because it was a popular piece and people maybe couldn't afford even a print of the real one. Seeing them side by side is a good way to tell the difference between the original artist and the copier. I don't know if 'cartoony' is an apt word, but it sort of describes the copy. No offense meant, but just to educate the eye.

FORUM Genre Painting.jpg b 1 2.jpg

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yours is a very good point. What is charming about the original is lost in the copy.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted