Who is the painter?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Robert1983, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Robert1983

Robert1983 New Member

B926EF42-E246-4556-BD05-2A652FC394FC.jpeg Who made this painting. Many copy’s of it are by a Dutch artist, but who made the original?

Thnx

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what's the Dutch artists name ?

3. Robert1983

Robert1983 New Member

Jeanne Brandsma. Painting in picture above is not by her.

PortableTreasures likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yours is after a Jeanne Brandsma (1902-1992) painting of her daughter Annabella.
    Jeanne's husband was Dutch-Indonesian sculptor Frits van Hall, hence the girl's olive skin and dark eyes and hair. Frits was a member of the Dutch resistance, and was executed in Poland.

Other versions of Annabella:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeanne also painted her other daughter, Marleentje, clearly Annabella's sister:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  5. Robert1983

Robert1983 New Member

5898A0FF-52F8-411D-98BC-173088265B41.jpeg Thnx. Yeah I read that on internet too, but Jeanne Brandsma made several different portraits in the gipsy theme, signed with various signatures (Corelli, Peter, V Dias, Brandsma and others) and this one is named ‘Arabella’ (not Annabella). Many of those are copy’s of paintings by other artists. I have seen many of the paintings by Brandsma and they don’t come near the quality of the painting in picture above. I have one of Brandsma’s works, a portrait of her daughter, her daughter is Indonesian, not gipsy. In picture in this post is a portrait by and signed by Brandsma of her daughter, and allthough still it shows a resemblance with the arabella painting, that is a work by her, and a portrait of her daughter. I assume the original painting of the gipsy girl is by a eastern european artist, maybe ‘arabella’ is the name of the work. I am 100% positive the work in picture in First post above is not by Brandsma.

6. Any Jewelry

Yes, Annabella's name is often changed to Arabella. The pretty girl above is not likely to be Annabella/Arabella imo, since her mother was Belgian (of Dutch Frisian descent) and her father was not Indonesian but Dutch-Indonesian.

This is Annabella's father, Frits van Hall. He looks like many Dutch-Indonesians, not pure Indonesian but mixed. Both girls in the portraits I posted have the same eyebrows as Frits:

[​IMG]

kyratango and Robert1983 like this.
  7. Robert1983

Robert1983 New Member

4BFA6748-11FD-47E1-AFB9-ACC1AC1737BB.jpeg A009C33C-FBD9-4133-BDFE-408E133E4380.jpeg E28BC953-6E54-4930-AE30-2EECC616F9FA.jpeg I think Arabella is not the name of her daughter, found many paintings of ‘kids’ of Jeanne Brandsma, with various names, but can not find the ‘real’ names of her childeren on the internet. Only many different paintings with many different names, all claimed to be her childeren. Arabella may be the name of the original painting of the gipsy girl. The style of painting is different from Brandsma’s, the paint that is used is different and the painting looks older than Brandsma’s work (1945 and after) too. Some more pic’s.

8. Any Jewelry

I found a site that names the Indonesian looking girl as Tanja, a very Dutch name.
    I am Dutch-Indonesian as well, and I know some Dutch-Indonesians who look very Asian. Frits van Hall didn't, although you can see some Indonesian influence.

I don't know if she actually painted Gypsy children, or if the children she painted were perceived as Gypsy. Some people think I am Gypsy, and I was once thanked for a performance which wasn't given by me but by a Gypsy singer.:hilarious:

9. Robert1983

Robert1983 New Member

Yeah, Tanja seems more likely for one of her childeren, but that info comes from a frame of a painting, just saying ‘tanja’ on it, with no further information.

10. Any Jewelry

I don't think the very Indonesian looking girl is likely to be the child of Jeanne and Frits. She could be the daughter of friends though.

11. Robert1983

Robert1983 New Member

Yeah, possibly. Found on many Dutch (I am Dutch) websites that the Indonesian looking girl is her daughter though...

12. Any Jewelry

So am I. We've probably been looking at the same sites.;)
    I think that is unlikely. There is probably a lot of misinformation those sites. For a long time there was no real interest in this style, so no proper records. The present research seems to be done by lay people who think the style charming, since the art world still isn't interested.
    Now, if you were to find family photos of Jeanne and her daughters, that would be a bit of a breakthrough.

Robert1983 likes this.
  13. Robert1983

Robert1983 New Member

You’re right about the info in your post above. But I am not looking for information about Brandsma and her works :shame: , I only have that painting of the Indonesian girl by her.

Maybe someone recognises the ‘Arabella’ (?) / gipsy painting or the style of the artist...

14. Any Jewelry

That one is the nicest imo.:) I thought you had the other one, since you showed that first.

Robert1983 likes this.
  15. Robert1983

Robert1983 New Member

I have the ‘arabella’ in the first post too, but I am sure that is not by Brandsma. Must be by another painter.

I agree with you that the Indonesian girl is Brandsma’s best painting, researching the arabella painting in first post I came across Brandsma, and liked the Indonesian girl portrait. Bought it sometime later on.

16. Any Jewelry

Oh, you will be studying Jeanne Brandsma in no time, believe me.:playful:

Robert1983 likes this.
  17. Robert1983

Robert1983 New Member

:happy::happy:

Still convinced that she did not make the painting in first post​

18. radboud stam

radboud stam New Member

hi, My grandfather Henk Jaspers made these paintings, because of his adoratie of the dutch holyman "Titus Brandsma" he started to sign his paintings whit "T Brandsma" but his bisnespartner advised him not to , so it became "Seanne brandsma" . The theorie that it was the dauhter of van hall is not true and came frome a website, my siter and me both told this man that his theorie is not true but he won't lissen...

19. Any Jewelry

Welcome, Radboud, and thank you for providing the correct information. That is so important, especially for you and your family and your grandfather's legacy. But also for us as a forum that values information.
    I am very sorry the owner of the other site won't listen. It gets copied by other sites, unfortunately that is the way it goes on the internet.
    But now it is here for everyone to see.

Just wondering, who were the children, did they live in his neighbourhood?
    If you would like to share more information or photos of your grandfather's work, please feel free to add them.

Titus Brandsma is one of my heroes as well, an amazing man.
    My grandparents knew him personally. Whenever I stayed with them in Nijmegen, they would take me to his memorial chapel, which was in the Carmelite monastery of Doddendaal in those days. It was built in the shape of the barack in camp Dachau where he died.
    For those who don't know him:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titus_Brandsma
    Is there a Brandsma connection with your first name, Radboud, or is that a coincidence?

Love your cat, by the way.:)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  20. radboud stam

radboud stam New Member

hi any,

thanks for your replay.
    nice to hear that you know nijmegen and titus brandsma.
    my grandfather also lived in nijmegen. in the "beukstraat" there the most of the painting are made.
    He painted most of the time from pictures.
    When my uncel died i got al the stuff from the addic and i broucht it to mij mother and layed it on the kitchen table for her to fined.
    she was moved to tears and we spend an evening looking throug al the schetses en pictures.... it was a very special evening.
    henk-japers-rev1.jpg 20181202_125841-rev1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted