Who is this, and what was the occasion?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Frank, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Is this a coronation souvenir? Does the emblem represent the Prince of Wales, and is that Edward or George?

Are the hallmarks identifiable? P1150518.JPG P1150517.JPG P1150504.JPG P1150514.JPG P1150508.JPG P1150512.JPG

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is the badge of the Prince of Wales.

Debora

th.jpg

i need help likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Norway perhaps.

Debora

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_Norway.png

i need help likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

5. Bakersgma

The date code of A7 is for 1903

6. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I'm googling 1903 in Sweden, hoping to find out what was going on. Not much luck.

i need help and cxgirl like this.
  7. Bakersgma

It may have something to do with (future) Gustav VI Adolf, who turned 21 that year. His grandfather was still king, so he was not named Crown Prince until 1907, when his grandfather died and his father took the throne. He did not become king himself until 1950 when he was 68 years old. (Shades of Prince Charles who at 70 is still Prince of Wales.)

8. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

So, it may not be a souvenir of a particular occasion, but possibly of a personage. Hmmm. I'm thinking of having a jeweler repair the base, so it sits level again. Think it's worth doing?

i need help likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's very likely. Here's the Swedish coat of arms and a photograph of the heir apparent. The cup would commemorate his majority.

Debora

Great_coat_of_arms_of_Sweden.png

gustav-vi-adolf-11111882-1591973-king-of-sweden-1950-1973-portrait-BABXJ2.jpg

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Bakersgma

I doesn't hurt to ask, just make sure it's not just your run of the mill jeweler. You need an experienced bench jeweler.

kyratango and i need help like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's quite a sweet piece.

Debora

kyratango and i need help like this.
  12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I'm sure Bakersgma is correct, the coat of arms belongs to the province of Scania (Skåne), King Gustaf VI Adolf was the Duke of Scania prior to ascending the throne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scania

The maker's mark is too obscured for me to make out anything other than the last letter 'A', the town mark is for Stockholm.

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I looked at Swedish makers marks CA, KA and XA, but found nothing resembling this one.:(

kyratango likes this.
  14. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the collective knowledge of the members here. It's invaluable.

Frank

15. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I'm reminded of a quote from Edward VII who once said that "We all pray to the eternal father, but I must be the only one cursed with an eternal mother!".

16. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

That's up to you, but sterling is relatively soft and easy to manipulate with your fingers or a stick of wood of the right size and shape. Personally I would bend it back by hand, but if you're not comfortable doing that, and if you care that it sits level, then it should be cheap for a jeweler to do also.

17. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Re-leveling wonky silver things can be tricky, but it can be done. Get a small hammer, a block of wood, something to wrap around the wood (piece of fabric) and a level surface. Then simply start hammering and shaping. Start gently and work your way up. Silver is soft, it doesn't take much to completely wreck a piece. But something like this should be relatively easy.

i need help likes this.
  18. Bakersgma

If the base flange was without decoration, I might agree with your approach, Shangas. But seeing the finely detailed work on this one is why I recommended an experienced person.

19. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There is no photo of the underside whole base,offering advise without knowledge is dangerous.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted