Who is this? Thought it was Byron Temple.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Walter Bruce, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Walter Bruce

Walter Bruce New Member

20200909_213913.jpg 20200909_211727.jpg So I found this bud vase and was excited that it may be a Byron Temple piece. I thought it was strange though because I'd never seen any illustration on his stuff. I got a message from someone that it wasn't Temple but a Japanese artist who they couldn't remember. Do you know who's mark this is?

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Looks like TB or IB to me. Don't think I've seen a Japanese "T-balls" mark like it.
    upload_2020-9-11_20-15-5.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  4. Walter Bruce

Walter Bruce New Member

I've been searching relentlessly!

5. Walter Bruce

Walter Bruce New Member

This one is a Temple mark with a rounded B. The person who thought it wasn't a Temple said he thought all temple Bs were very block shaped. 0e27ed36052cecc854d7a6ca49d35f97.jpg

6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Have you seen this? https://www.themarksproject.org/marks/temple

I am assuming the listing on eBay is yours. Decoration would be a much better term to use than illustration. You make it sound like it is shown in a published book/article about Temple's work. What exactly do you mean by "appraisal upon request"?

From the researching I did, I doubt this is by Temple for two reasons: 1) the mark and 2) there is a lot of his work shown on the internet and none of them have decorations similar to your vase.

7. Walter Bruce

Walter Bruce New Member

Appraisal upon request- meaning I have had two separate appraisals done for this piece and both strongly believe it is his. I would really like to know what you mean by "You make it sound like it is shown in a published book/article about Temple's work." Everything I have done is straight from the appraisals. I have seen all of his work online and the fact that none of them have "decorations" is the reason for the appraisers thinking it is rare. The mark has been bothering me and I'm beginning to believe the "appraisers" aren't so expert so I took down the eBay listing. Thanks, I think.

8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Your vase has a decoration on it, not an illustration. The word illustration means "something that visually explains a text".

Walter Bruce and Bakersgma like this.
  9. Walter Bruce

Walter Bruce New Member

Ah, Gotcha! Thank you very much!

Draft saved Draft deleted