Featured Who knows cut crystal?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wcubed, Nov 6, 2019.

1. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

Another item I have inherited is this huge cut crystal punch bowl. It rings a good loooong time when you flick it with your fingernail. I have no idea of the maker. I do have other smaller cut crystal items, as well.

The bowl measures 14 1/2 inches across and 8 inches high, but when placed on the base it is 13 1/2 inches high.

The base does have one small chip on the top edge, which can't be seen when the bowl is on top of course.

Pardon the dust bunnies. I just gave it a quick wipe down with a paper towel after I pulled it off the top of the corner cabinet.

crystal 1.jpg crystal 2.jpg crystal 3.jpg crystal 4.jpg crystal 5.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it is American and I'm not sure it is old glass, as in 1800s - early 1900s.

Might be 1950s-60s imported cut crystal.
    The reason I say this:
    The way the bowl sits on the base is not the way early American Brilliant glass would have sat.
    It appears to be lead crystal.
    The bowl, although pretty, is just not as intricately cut as ABP would be. There is a lot of open space.

upload_2019-11-6_18-28-57.png
    If you are on Facebook you could try here.
    https://www.facebook.com/AmericanCutGlassAssociation
    Welcome to the board

i need help, scoutshouse and wcubed like this.
  3. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

Thanks! I really wasn't sure, as I don't know the difference between the types you mention.

4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

For me the stand/base is properly oriented with the wide uneven part down and the "socket" for the bowl base up. The catalogs I am familiar with show it that way.

5. clutteredcloset49

I don't think I have ever seen a base like that. Doesn't mean I have seen it all. I can certainly be wrong.

I would recommend that @wcubed post on the Facebook page.
    If not a Facebook member, maybe they would give permission for one of our boardies to ask for them.

i need help and wcubed like this.
  6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Ok the base extension on the bowl looks European to me also. I did not realize what I was seeing Initially.

7. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll give the FB group a try.

i need help likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

If you get an answer, please come back and update this thread. We like to know the answers too. Helps us learn as well.

judy, wcubed and i need help like this.
  9. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

I received one reply that said "ABP from roughly 1910. Yours is similar to several Quaker City patterns but no match as yet."

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  10. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

Update. Exact match. Positively identified as Bergen Golf, 1904/1905 catalogue.

11. clutteredcloset49

Thank you for coming back and telling us.
    So American Brilliant Period.
    I was way off.

12. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

Hey, you were closer than me!

13. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted