Featured Who made the original of this Art Nouveau Style Maiden pin?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Curioser, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

I believe this is by Diane Von Furstenberg, although not typical of her later style. I know I have seen this face/model before. The pin is supposed to simulate a gold or bronze piece in prongs. There is a small "B" to the far left of the front.

The maiden has long hair and wears a scarf/kerchief on her head with a crystal bandeau across the front. She appears to have a hoop earring. (PS- the crystals are not darkened at all, that just a photo effect.)

Who was the "B" who made the original piece and does it have a name? Thanks! DVF_Nouveau_Maiden_Xtals_pin_3.jpg
    DVF_Nouveau_Maiden_Xtals_pin_2.jpg
    DVF_Nouveau_Maiden_Xtals_pin_1.jpg

Hi2022, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

odd little mark on the front to the left, are you sure it's a small B?

Hi2022 and Bronwen like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Wait. Do you mean "small" as in lowercase? ;)

Hi2022, Figtree3, judy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

upload_2022-1-10_23-48-6.png

I see a monogram in which T is prominent. I don't really see a B. My eyes are playing tricks. Sometimes I see it as TE & sometime as Tb. It's probably something else altogether.

5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

6. Roaring20s

Possibly the artist is Edmond-Henri Becker.

Bronwen, kyratango, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The logo on the back of the OP's does appear to have the initials DVB, as in the second link you posted. I don't see the words "museum replica" that the seller says are there under that link. But I looked quickly.

Bronwen, Darkwing Manor and antidiem like this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This one appears to be the same girl and is marked Alva. The seller gives this info, don't know if it's correct or not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202856747382

This enchanting brooch ALVA by Diane Von Basedow Collection Museum Replica Art Nouveau pretty woman profile brooch is a vintage costume jewelry piece from ALVA Museum Co. (1948-1990) founded by Alfred Wolkenberg of Vienna. His studio hired many artists produce high quality reproductions of ancient jewelry and sculpture found in museums worldwide. The reproductions were then sold by the various museums. This particular piece bears the marks of artist Diane Von Basedow Collection whose trademarks were first issued in 1977 according to my research. The ALVA costume jewelry is highly collectible today.

This beautiful example of her work features a beautiful lady in profile with rhinestones in her hair in classic Art Nouveau style. The brooch is stunning with almost no sign of wear at all and is a beautiful reproduction of a classic gold work of art. The gold is still satin matte and the crystals are crisp and clear. It measures approx. 1 inch in diameter.

Hi2022, johnnycb09, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  12. say_it_slowly

Hi2022, johnnycb09, Fid and 4 others like this.
  13. say_it_slowly

14. Figtree3

Bronwen, johnnycb09 and Bakersgma like this.
  15. Roaring20s

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hi2022 and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Figtree3

18. Curioser

I am so impressed with you all! I got off on the wrong foot with the DVF instead of DVB. Thanks, to @Darkwing Manor and everyone who replied.

I suppose there is a reason why Diane, who owned/owns ALVA, didn't put an ALVA mark on this. But I know the company who made it now. And, @say_it_slowly found the original catalog page, wow!

I've done more looking online after @Roaring20s offered the link to the original in the Chrysler Museum. Similar maidens made of gold and diamonds appear to have a "formula" : pretty lady face in profile, Nouveau styling, gold and diamonds, artists monogram in the open area to the side. I found several Becker medals with the surname spelled out in full and one with a reversed B (perhaps the Asian auction house flipped the image). Couldn't find a Becker with just a B, correctly placed, on it.

As for the prices asked, $25 to $250--and that eBay seller has atrocious photos. Crazy business, huh?

I had not idea there was so a large community of medal designers. Were these awards for accomplishments in arts or industry? None of the listings I perused mentioned the purpose of the medal.

19. Curioser

What I meant to add was that Frederic Boucheron might actually have designed the piece? Time frame seems correct. He won a gold medal in 1867 at the Universelle Exposition for a jewelry design so trying to Google him with "gold medal" seems to revert to those results all the time and not to his possible work as a designer of medals.

Hi2022 and Bronwen like this.
  20. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Sometimes it takes a village. :)

Hi2022, Potteryplease and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted