Who made this cast iron cottage doorstop?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by ascot, Jul 30, 2018.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I thought it might be Hubley, but it doesn't have their cottage number on it. It's marked with CN and then 43 (lower right) on the back. 7 1/4" wide x 2" deep (at base) and 5 1/4" high to top of chimney. TIA!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, there's a whole lot to pick from right here:
    (Happy Hunting) SO, THAT link did NOT GO WHERE IT was SUPPOSED TO....will try again......I do NOT know what GAME STUPID Eboob is playing now, but I could not do a DIRECT link!!!!! So just go to "ebay" and key in to the search:
    "cast iron 'cottage doorstop' with CN"......that's what brought up all of the cast iron cottage doorstops!!!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Looks like 23 not 43?

4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

The number on the back is definitely 43. I checked Ebay before posting here. The Hubleys listed all have the number 211 imprinted on the back. The National Foundry ones appear to have a picket fence on either side. I also checked a cast iron doorstop website that has pics and marks, but didn't see this one. I'm stumped.

i need help likes this.
  5. i need help

Ok, I see it now 43.

ascot likes this.
  6. i need help

If you don’t specify cottage, you will find numerous cast iron peices with CN mark, none seem to be identified other than marked CN.

judy likes this.
  7. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I've emailed the curator of doorstops.com. Will let you know if I get a response.

judy and i need help like this.
  8. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Got a response from doorstops.com. The NC stands for Nationalist China. It's a fake reproduction. Since there are so many NC cast iron pieces out there on certain sites, including Ebay, let's just say "caveat emptor!".

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.