Featured Who makes a jug this way up?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Touchdry, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Touchdry

Touchdry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This delight is a bit of an oddity ... the bulge is at the top. Practically all the jugs I have seen are mostly bulges at the bottom ... OK, some of Michael Casson's jugs are bulges half way up! So, that should narrow it down a bit.

I bought it in Limoges, France - but was told it was British ... hmmm ... really?

I just love the marks to the sides - real dramatic stuff! But the potters mark near the base? You guessed it - it's slightly obscured by the wonderful lick-worthy glaze ... I am blowed if I can actually read it!

Is it a J? ... A circle with a straight line running across the top of it? ... Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

It stands 8.5 inches/22cm high - widest diameter at the base 4.5 inches/12cm

Looking forward to hearing from you.

ACP, kyratango, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I like the design on the side as well. These pottery pieces with obscure marks can be tough to ID. Looks like a studio piece to my eye, hard to say where from.

If you don't get many responses on this one it could be we are scratching our heads as well. The maker's stamp is hard to even describe in words to do research.

There is a studio Pottery ID Facebook page you might try as a last resort.

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Hehe, can't help with the mark, but as a casual collector of studio pottery who appreciates a nice glaze, just love the "lick-worthy" comment...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  4. Touchdry

... that's because I lick my pottery ... sorry I mean I LIKE my pottery!! (Just kidding - I sleep with most of the stuff) ... that doesn't sound right either ... I don't mean I actually ...

5. Touchdry

The only fb id thing I know is the British Studio Pottery Mystery Group ... is the fb page you are talking about a different thing? Actually I'll do a fb search ... simple, eh? Ooh these new fangled machines!! ...(Later) ... Yes, I get the same one - I already belong to that group AND i've asked them about this jug ... to no avail ... "woe is a me bop!!" (Captain Beefheart)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I think the group Lucille is referencing is literally called "Studio Pottery Identification" - the good people in there have ID'd a few pieces for me :)

Touchdry likes this.
  7. Touchdry

I have just checked it out ... it says it is for American studio pottery ... so I have asked to join the other one which is the Brit one ... unless you know that the American one tries to ID European stuff?

aaroncab and kyratango like this.
  8. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Aha - now I'm getting it :) Yes, they'd probably just refer you to the British one.

Touchdry likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The Brit one is very good - and that does look like one of ours.

Any Jewelry, Touchdry and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted