Featured Who, where, when ? Australia

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by daveydempsey, Feb 17, 2016.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I found these large photo`s in our ongoing house clearance which just keeps on giving.
    Car racing on two separate circuits with two different different classes of car.
    Two guys seem to be holding Champagne or wine.
    The copyright stamp on most of the backs are "Sydney Morning Herald" and the "Sydney Mail"
    Other copyrights not shown are for "The Autocar"

They have at some point been in a ring binder and before that affixed to a wall as there is cement or plaster on some of the backs.

The last photo shows a carpark in the background, under magnification I see British and American cars and some I don`t know, maybe Holden`s

001.JPG

003.JPG
    005.JPG

006.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'll bet that crock he's using to fill the tank is worth a pretty penny !!!!

3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

*perking*
    CROCK???

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's not a crock, it's a gas can.

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

6. daveydempsey

Photo`s 3 & 4 are different grandstands, different cars but nearly the same line of trees.
    I wonder if they were about 5 years apart.

7. daveydempsey

I found another with car #1 same driver.
    In the background there is an advert for Olympic Tyres.

Olympic Tyre & Rubber Company
    Founded by Melbourne-born swimming champion and businessman (Sir) Frank Beaurepaire (1891-1956), the Olympic brand was one of the most successful Australian-made tyre products.

So this is Australia and probably Philips Island racing circuit in Victoria.
    Now I just need a name of the champ and the year.

007.JPG

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  8. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Here is a site of a 1938 Australian Hillclimb Championship car race. Do note the 2nd pic. The man holding a drink is the same man holding a drink in your 1st and 2nd pics. He may be Peter Whitehead.

"Peter Whitehead was a member of a wealthy Bradford family with extensive interests in the textile industry including Australia. The family company, ‘W & J Whitehead’ were worsted wool spinners making yarn for products ranging from clothing to furniture. Whitehead lived on a farm near Reading, ‘Motorwork’ of Chalfront St Peter was the base for his racing activities."

https://primotipo.com/tag/1938-australian-hillclimb-championship-rob-roy/

http://en.espn.co.uk/alta/motorsport/driver/482.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Whitehead_(racing_driver)

--- Susan

9. daveydempsey

Wow,
    Thanks Susan,
    He`s a fellow Yorkshireman and I used to live 10 minutes drive from Paramatta when I was in Oz :cool:

10. Ladybranch

daveydempsey likes this.
  11. daveydempsey

Thanks Susan,
    Pinterest is not letting me view the pic as I`m not a member.
    It seems he liked the booze too :D

cxgirl likes this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

daveydempsey likes this.
  13. Ladybranch

Gee, I'm not a member either. A several months ago they stopped letting me view their pictures then about 2 or 3 months ago all of sudden I could start viewing them. I have no idea why I couldn't and no idea why all of a sudden I could. Anywhoo, looking at that pic again I realized it is on that 1st link I posted. A good 1/2 to 2/3rs way down the page to the pic where #1 is crossing the finish line at the Aspendale Speedway - about the 21st pic up from the bottom with the caption:

"Peter Whitehead winning the feature event at Aspendale Speedway, Melbourne, Victoria in October 1938. ERA R10B. He also set the lap record. (EH Price)"

https://primotipo.com/2015/04/16/peter-whitehead-in-australia-era-r10b-1938/

--- Susan

daveydempsey likes this.
  14. daveydempsey

15. daveydempsey

Got it thanks.

16. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

In that third pic the three cars across the front are Mercedes W-125 "Silver Arrow" grand prix cars.There are also '30s Alfa Romeo and Bugatti grand prix cars in the other photos. This puts them post 1937 (intro of the W-125.) So they must date 1937-to just pre WW II. These are shots of TOP TIER racing of the time.

daveydempsey likes this.
  17. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Austrailian Grand Prix were held in:
    1938 at Mount panorama near Bathurst.
    1939 at the Lobethal circuit in Lobethal South Australia.

The photos Must be from that period 1938-1939. The Mercs preclude any other possibilities.

daveydempsey likes this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice photos, and interesting discussion!

daveydempsey likes this.
  19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The guy with the toothy smile looks like a member of his crew from the linked photo.
    untitled.png 003.JPG

20. m bisset

m bisset New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted