Featured Whoops I did it again!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by rhiwfield, May 23, 2018.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Got fed up being outbid at a Saleroom online auction and bought another lot because I was bored and annoyed. So now I've probably lost money on the lot, and that's before I have to spend time and money collecting.

Babies wear mittens to stop scratching, why don't they invent an Antiquers bored bid blocker?

Is it just me who can't stop myself bidding or do others suffer similar symptoms?

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am strict with myself when it comes to bidding. Could be a Dutch thing. A Dutch saying is that in the Netherlands even the Catholics are Calvinist (rather strict and often stingy kind of Protestantism).:D

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Been known to happen. :(:(:(

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Just try saying "bored bid blocker" ten times fast.

5. rhiwfield

I try to be strict but, after being continuously outbid, I sometimes succumb :(

Just once in a while a bored bid comes up trumps.

Which means I never really learn the lesson!

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I bid to my pre limit and then, .. ??? .. I try ONE more bid, then another .. and so on until I WIN the coveted item !! Sellers must like me :) ... Joy.

7. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Whenever I am outbid, I get upset and usually end up buying something else even more expensive :(

8. rhiwfield

Outbid :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I got these instead :(
    [​IMG]

9. Any Jewelry

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  10. rhiwfield

Well, although Dutch citizenship and associated benefits look quite attractive, I collected the lot this morning which will keep me busy for a while.

Carefully removed this from a folder and will be interested to see how it sells:
    [​IMG]

11. Any Jewelry

12. rhiwfield

13. Any Jewelry

14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I must be a kind of a Dutch... AJ, your illustrations are those of my way of life:shame:;):hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

15. Any Jewelry

I hereby pronounce you honorary Dutch citizen.:):hilarious:

16. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I can put a spell on you Hocus Pocus.... no more bidding beyond your price.

But now that you have all that magic stuff. you will probably be able to reverse my spell. Drats.:confused:

17. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Im very disciplined! I use a plus 20% price limit. I keep bidding in 20% increases until I get it. :)
    Actually I do set my max price plus 20% as my real limit. Does that make me 20% Dutch?
    I've always felt that bidding at auction is a bit like buying a house. There is always another one tomorrow. However, I do have haunting memories of items I've missed. :(

18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi AuDragon,
    We only rue the stuff we did not get. The stuff we do get seems to blend away after a while.
    greg

19. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Greg, that is the irony of being a collector.;)

20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I rue the money I spent on whatever it is, but the stuff is just stuff.

rhiwfield and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted