Whops! Imay have made a mistake here. Fiestaware and Riviera pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kasperscuriosities, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

This dish came through and me being the big dummy i can be sometimes I didn't think much of it. I just kind of threw it up there with a pretty lame description. I was in a hurry I am not going to lie.

There weren't any markings so I assumed it was nothing of any particular interest but figured someone would hit on it at $2.50. I certainly didn't think about it being the famed fiestaware because it's marked... right? I had never heard of Riviera but then again this is not my area of expertise.

I got an email asking if it was made from glass. It's not glass more like pottery. LOL! Then I got another email asking about it and another and I decided I might need to look it up. I have found what appears to be the exact same pattern listed on another site but it is in a ivory color. The site is all about Fiestaware and Riviera pottery. They mention their piece as being from the 30's and kind of a transition between Fiestaware and Riviera pottery. Although, I can't find this pattern in this color. Is this one or the other?

Should there be any marks? I don't see any. Here are some pictures and a link to the piece I found on the other site. I need to get it described correctly if it is because it is probably pretty low starting at $2.50 LOL! The least I can do is get the description right and give it a fighting chance to find an end buyer. Not the first time I made a major mistake I am sure it won't be the last either. LOL!

Here is a link to the one I found in ivory and below that is pictures of what I have. So is this the same thing? Thanks you guys.

http://www.vintageamericanpottery.com/Riviera_Pottery_For_Sale_Ivory_Batter_Tray.html

71888517.jpg 71888518.jpg 71888519.jpg 71888520.jpg

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

3. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

Thank you. I didn't want to change the description to something that was totally wrong. Doesn't look like replacements has this piece but between them and the other page I would say it's a match. Thanks again.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Do people buy this stuff? I pass it by all the time, though I might have been tempted to buy that platter. I do know that serving pieces will often sell when other things won't. Consequently, I have quite a few attractive platters I have not been able to sell ..... :sour: Seems that there are lots of well designed attractive Fiesta clones/band-wagon trend designs out there that not many want. For example, I have several pieces of the Knowles Yorktown solid color pieces that I use because I like them but have never seen any demand for them. Heck, I can only sell Fiestaware at rock bottom prices and see no demand for Russel Wright locally.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Kasperscuriosities likes this.
  5. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

Just as an FYI, not all Fiesta is marked.

Colorful dinnerware was popular in the 1930's & 1940's. Several companies made sets of dinnerware in the same shape different colors, which some people mixed and matched, others not so much. Homer Laughlin made at least 3 patterns, Fiesta, Harlequin & Riveria.

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted