Why would someone put this plate in a shadow box display

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Sep 19, 2018.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I saw this thick wavy plate with a gilded peony on it today in a high end thrift shop. I only took one photo, but I am curious why do you think someone would put this plate in a shadow box with a brocade lining. I don't know the right words to google it, as I know nothing about porcelain if this is what it is. I would have to buy it and take it apart to see if it had marks of any kind. Any help? IMG_0294 (Small).JPG

Attached Files:

i need help and kyratango like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

why does anyone do anything.....
    maybe an heirloom...
    fond memories...
    or a cheap piece of wall art...........

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking too. When I was in high school, my mom was on this designer "trend" where you took a piece of fabric and stapled it onto a wooden frame. Instant art for the walls. Problem was, she didn't take them down for years. Burned into the brain . . .

4. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for insight. I am looking for something to hang over my mantle to replace a lithograph my cats damaged beyond repair. I saw this plate and wondered why. It doesn't look like an heirloom being gilded and not very well painted, but I thought I might be missing something.

judy likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Very interesting. That makes sense.

judy likes this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Did you look on the back? There might be a note or something. Dad went on a business trip and all Mom got was this lousy plate so she framed it.

Jivvy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

I'll check. I'm breaking in shoes for a trip, so I walk past it every day.

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly some furniture stores gave these types of items away as a premium when you bought furniture. Many are are labeled "Limoge" so as not to run into a lawsuit from the real Limoges.
    Don

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Aha. You get furniture; you want to have new fancy wall décor. Makes sense.

10. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

I agree with the assessment of it being a decor piece vs something framed because of value. IIRC, oriental decor was popular in the 1980's or maybe the 1990's.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me this feedback. I want to learn all I can so I can make better decisions

Draft saved Draft deleted