Wicker inlay sofa bed- Take to bulky Collection or rare antiques

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Michael Yoh, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Michael Yoh

Michael Yoh Member

i have this old, old wicker insert sofa bed. Victorian era? Was at our cabin for the last 50 years. The springs pull out to make the bed. Painted black by my sister for college in the 60’s. Need’s some wicker inserts replaced. Can not find another one like it anywhere in my searches. Is this junk to trash or valuable for restoration? HELP, your opinion valued. Pictures are not the greatest because it is crammed on end in garage. IMG_1184 copy.jpg IMG_1185-1.JPG IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1191.JPG IMG_1192.JPG IMG_1193.JPG

Mike in PA

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

These days restoration is a PITA !!
    & expensive....
    The fact that it's painted & bust up ......
    Well let's see what the furniture folks say.......but from where I stand.....it's not worth your time or $$$ ... !

judy, Bakersgma and tie.dye.cat like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Sad to see something that was probably lovely and impressive in it's heyday in such shape.

BTW, that's "caning," not wicker.

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It looks like it has Empire lines,but Im thinking its not much older than when your sis took it to college. As Bakers said,it'd be horrendously expensive to redo,but I bet it'd be lovely when restored.They used caning in tropical climes because it was cooler,and held up better than upholstery.

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. komokwa

Bakers said...???:meh:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

I didn't say that.... I believe it to be true, but those letters did not leave my fingers. ;)

SBSVC and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. komokwa

u said it was lovely......maybe he was commenting on that..?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Could be. It could be lovely again - with some press-in caning and getting that black paint off. But you start adding up all the other issues - like the springs getting re-strapped and the cushions recovered - and you've got some really big money into it.

9. Michael Yoh

Michael Yoh Member

Caning, of course. I had a brain fart. My inclination has been to junk it, but I want to make sure it’s not a rare hot item on the market. Maybe George Washington slept on it. I hate to see something rare or unique be lost. I’d even give it to someone who would pick it up.

judy, Bakersgma and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. Bakersgma

I don't think you need to worry about old George. ;)

But some young couple with more energy than money might very well be interested. If they aren't devotees of Ikea, that is. ;)

judy and SBSVC like this.
  11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Good that you're conscientious about it. Not many people are.

Of course I'd like to see it saved, but probably more $ than it's worth. I think I'd have it hauled off and spend my money on one that's in better condition.

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Those springs look like the pull out sofa we had in the 50s.
    Doesn't have to be caned. Could be upholstered. Is the frame itself in good shape.

Don't know where you are, but here in Northern CA, things are often put on the curb with a free sign. Someone may want it. If it doesn't go in a week then dump it.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Ditto all the above. Not worth much, if anything, in this condition.

judy likes this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Alas, unless someone takes it on as a "project car" I'm afraid it's a goner. Caning is a bear to redo if it's real caning. The stuff that's pre-woven and that's hammered into grooves isn't nearly as bad. Still not cheap, but not as bad. Someone who watches Flea Market Flip might want it.:) You could put it curbside on a sunny day and put an ad in the Free section of Craigslist and just give the street address. First come, first served. You'd be surprised what walks off.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  15. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

You could try giving it away in the "FREE" section of your local Craiglist. Just describe it fairly, you never know! I think that piece where I live might find a taker, depends where you live.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Back when I lived in Bethesda, MD, the surest way to make something "disappear" was to put it out on the curb with a FOR SALE sign & a price on it. Every single time we did that, the "whatever it was" disappeared overnight!

Draft saved Draft deleted