Featured Wierd photos

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Mar 15, 2016.

1. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The guy is on the reverse of a thin sheet of mica, painted black behind him, a piece of scrap paper behind that, Japanned steel behind that.

The woman is barely visible. She appears to be directly on the surface of the japanned steel. She has a texture like crackled old paint.
    mica 019.JPG

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Is there a question?? HIS outfit sure looks weird!!!!

KingofThings and jackolin like this.
  3. terry5732

I had never run across a photo on mica before. Not finding much on the googles.

The back plates appear to have the same illegible stamp on them. Probably same photographer but different processes.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I'd swear I've seen him. Has that photo been on here before?

6. terry5732

No. But I got the same deja vu when I saw it too.
    mica 003.JPG
    Most of the blurriness is in the original

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Could he be wearing a zouave uniform ?

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm finding some sources that indicate that the printing on mica was mostly done during the 1850s. (Although some more modern photographers have probably done it, too.)

Encyclopedia from 2013:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=g...AQgqMAI#v=onepage&q=ambrotype on mica&f=false

From 1865:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=7...AQgsMAM#v=onepage&q=ambrotype on mica&f=false

This was from 1899 and refers to the process being used in the 1860s:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=h...AEIOzAF#v=onepage&q=ambrotype on mica&f=false

An 1877 mention of the use of mica, mentioning reasons it was not ideal for photography:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=s...AQ6AEIMzAF#v=onepage&q=collodion mica&f=false

10. Figtree3

The photo of the woman sounds like a tintype (called during the period either a ferrotype or a melainotype). Sometimes the emulsion cracks and that is why you see the texture that way. The cracking and the darkness of the image make that one a bit less desirable to collectors than some other tintypes would be.

Bakersgma likes this.
  11. terry5732

The collodion used for the woman's photo is quite different looking than all other tintypes I've seen. I can't say whether it's a difference in its makeup or the fixing process. She had a lot of buildup on the inside of the covering glass that probably came from the photo.

12. Figtree3

Strange! I know that the old glass can do something that some collectors call "weeping" and that is not a good thing. I'm not sure if that is the same as what you saw, though. I usually hear of it happening with daguerreotypes.

Something I just thought of... is the glass touching the surface of the photo? It does not appear to be, from your picture above. And it should not be touching. It should be above the mat. Sometimes people have taken them apart in the past and put them back together incorrectly. I recently had somebody fix that problem with a daguerreotype. The glass was touching the image. Although I sometimes take these apart myself I didn't want to mess with it because it was a dag and their surfaces are extremely delicate and easily scratched.

13. Figtree3

14. terry5732

That one had the matte between the image and the glass. The matte is stuck to the edge of the image. The filth was only in the cutout of the matte.

The mica one was directly behind the glass but the image on the mica is on the backside.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted