Featured Wild guesses on estate sale pottery vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Feb 6, 2020.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

I spotted this vase in the online preview. Unfortunately, this is the only photo. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to the sale, but was curious what this vase might be. Anyone have any wild guesses? The bottom photo is the original, to give you an idea of its size. Thanks!

1580752564_img_2233_crop.jpg
    1580752564_img_2233.jpg

2. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

very nice looking

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Mugzinnys

Is there a handle on the other side?

Christmasjoy and UncleChuckTX like this.
  4. UncleChuckTX

I'm guessing there's a third handle on the far side. I looked through all the other posted sale photos, and this vase is only pictured once.

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would think European in origin. Can't pin it down any further.

6. UncleChuckTX

Thanks - that was my first guess. Second was arts & crafts era US. Both of those completely wild guesses on my part...

I've searched for multiple variations of 3-handled, paneled, vase / bulb vase / planter, and even threw the color red in a few searches. I see a couple of similar forms, but nothing with this type of glaze. I may have time to go by the sale on Saturday. If it's still there, I'll make sure to see if it is marked and report back.

judy, KikoBlueEyes and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Hard to say but maybe Bretby or one of the Torquay makers like C H Brannam?

8. UncleChuckTX

Thanks! Bretby is new to me, I believe. I just spent 15 minutes amazed at the Jewelled Ware and Bronze lines, and then remembered I was supposed to be looking for something else.

9. Mugzinnys

lol

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

French or Belgian Art Nouveau, I'll bet. It's not a Bretby/Brannam colour.

11. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

I would agree with Bear on this. Not Bretby or Brannam.

KikoBlueEyes and UncleChuckTX like this.
  12. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Interesting piece that I'd love to examine up close!

KikoBlueEyes and UncleChuckTX like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice vase. Agree with possible Belgian, could be Dutch too.
    When you're there, also check out the base of the vase behind it, could be another European Continental piece. Some Dutch Art Nouveau pottery had a glossy glaze like that.

14. Ownedbybear

Good point, the one behind looks flambe. The red glass is nothing.

judy, Lucille.b, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  15. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Fid, KSW, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  16. UncleChuckTX

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll check out the other vase as well if I am able to make it to the sale.

Thanks - I'm amazed. How did you find that? I found another piece using the same keywords, which has a glaze similar to the three-handled one:

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/d...ystalline-metallic-luster-glaze/id-f_4337923/

KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Desvres makes sense. That is not a crystalline glaze. ;)

UncleChuckTX, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. UncleChuckTX

I was able to get to the sale early, and both vases were still there. I snagged both. I'll put #2 in a separate reply, so the pics don't bog down your screens.

Sorry for the bad pics. I did a quick dust and wipe-down of both pieces. And the glaze and colors on the handled one is going to be a pain to photograph (after a more thorough cleaning). The glaze is semi-metallic, glossy in some areas and matte overall. It is marked "France", as the other example @janetpjohn found. If anyone can decipher the script above, I'd appreciate the info.

20200208_190740.jpg
    20200208_191053.jpg
    20200208_191304.jpg
    20200208_191424.jpg

One more thing - I think this might be a matching pair of candlesticks listed on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Pa...Pottery-Art-Nouveau-Candlesticks/184065386354

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  19. UncleChuckTX

I couldn't believe it when I looked at the base of this one:

20200208_190448.jpg
    20200208_190508.jpg
    20200208_190605.jpg
    This is the first piece of Rookwood I've found. I've seen a few pieces in locked display cabinets at antique stores. There are similar vases listed that describe the glaze as "Coromandel". Under bright light, the glaze appears to be deep with a glittery effect.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help!

20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Holy cow!! What a surprise!!

judy and UncleChuckTX like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted