William Adams Lead Crystal?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Trantor13, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Trantor13

Trantor13 New Member

Hello,
    Does anyone know the history of William Adams lead crystal ? From what I can gather William Adams crystal wasn't around for long and perhaps taken over by Waterford Wedgwood....but overall I'm not sure. The decanter I have was made in West Germany as per the photo. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you! Jim

upload_2019-1-25_8-58-42.png

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Does it say Western Germany?
    If so, time period is post WWII to 1980 when the wall came down.

judy and i need help like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

Sorry, I have a tendancy not to read all the way through. See that you already know it is Western Germany.
    My apologies

Welcome to the board.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Cluttered, I think it was 1990.

5. clutteredcloset49

That was supposed to be 1980's - forgot the "s"
    I thought it was 1983, but Owned said it was a little later. Don't think it was in the 90s though.

judy and SBSVC like this.
  6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Well, German Unification Day was October 3, 1990.

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

@SBSVC
    Found it - you were closer

The Berlin Wall: The Fall of the Wall. On November 9, 1989, as the Cold War began to thaw across Eastern Europe, the spokesman for East Berlin's Communist Party announced a change in his city's relations with the West. Starting at midnight that day, he said, citizens of the GDR were free to cross the country's borders.

judy and SBSVC like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

Sorry Jim -
    As you can see we sometimes get a little off topic.

judy likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

judy likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Towle Silversmiths bought the William Adams line of silverplated flatware in 1979 and began marketing it in 1980. Maybe the Adams firm was liquidating?

judy likes this.
  11. Trantor13

Trantor13 New Member

Thank you all for your replies. Indeed Clutterdcloset49 I suspect also another company made the crystal for William Adams. I did find this from the "Major Companies of Europe 1991/1992" book online which shows Waterford Wedgwood as the parent company of "William Adams" (if it's the correct William Adams). Wedgwood had a factory in West Germany also so it's not outside the realms of possibility they made some crystal for William Adams. Perhaps clutching at straws but somewhat interesting nevertheless!
    upload_2019-1-25_11-53-5.png

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1989, the wall came down. I've a big lump of it. Went to Berlin and the former East the following year, which was utterly fascinating.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted