Wind-up platter, BREVETÉ S.D.G.D

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Dany, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Dany

Dany New Member

Hi!

I am new here, i have searched for this item on the web for a few weeks now, and i can't find anything about it. So i have checked a few forums, and you guys seem to be very knowledeagble!

I was hoping anyone of you guys know what item this is, and if i can find any more information about it?!

Thanks in advance!

/D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. Dany

Dany New Member

I forgot to mention that it has a Wind-up movement that plays music. And it only plays the music if it is picked up, so there is a small trigger underneath it that activates the music.

And it has about 2 inches in height.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

BREVETÉ S.G.D.G is a pre-1968 French patent mark for the mechanism. I believe it was introduced ca mid 19th century.

judy, yourturntoloveit and kyratango like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Bravo AJ!:)
    S.G.D.G is for "sans garantie du gouvernement"
    Translation is: registered without government's warranty:)

6. Dany

Dany New Member

Oh, so the Breveté part is for the mechanism then, that explains a bit then. Because i was searching for that mark, and i thought it was some specific brand for items, and i found alot of different pieces with that mark.

I unscrewed the back, and the Winding movement is made in swiss, not bad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Any Jewelry

:kiss::happy:

kyratango likes this.
  8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Dany, just curious but . . . do you recognize the music it plays? ;)

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I believe Napoleon introduced the SGDG mark, which was used for quite a long time after. French Wiki has a short explanation. It sort of means the government grants a patent, but doesn't guarantee that the item actually works.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

In both the link I posted and the French Wiki it says the mark was introduced in 1844, so after Napoleon. Napoleon did introduce many other regulations, most of which made a lot of sense.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Bronwen

It became law then, but Wiki also says:

Ce texte est l'invention de Napoléon Bonaparte, selon le décret du 27 septembre 1800

12. Bronwen

Sort of looks like a child's porringer? Doubt a child could manage holding it up while eating out of it, so for someone feeding a baby, to keep the baby amused & hopefully cooperative? What is the diameter?

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, I have a question.....do those two little handles on the sides slide in or out a little???? Enough to trigger a mechanism to turn the music on or off???? OR do they flip up or down just a wee bit....same idea....enough to trigger an on or off for the music??? Look it over carefully when you put the mechanism back in............

14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Dany, I can't add anything to the information provided, but I just wanted to say that I think that dish is absolutely delightful! Some lucky child must have LOVED it!

15. Bronwen

There's a little button on the bottom that stops the mechanism when pushed in while sitting, releases it when picked up.

16. Bronwen

BTW - Welcome Dany. Between what we know & our research skills, we do a darn good job, most of the time.

17. Aquitaine

I did see that, but thought maybe the handles might somehow override that!!!

18. Bronwen

Perfectly reasonable speculation. If I were holding it with one hand, trying to get a spoon into a baby's mouth with the other, would want stable handles, not ones that moved in any way, no?

yourturntoloveit and kyratango like this.
  19. Dany

Dany New Member

The handles are welded solid.

I can't recognise which song it is playing, but it's a pretty famous bedtime story. I can't just find the name of it. I will record a bit of audio and upload it!
    I might just give it away to one of my relatives who has children... But if it fetches a nice sum i would sell it!

Thanks for the help so far everyone!

20. Aquitaine

Can't wait to hear it!!!!!

yourturntoloveit and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted