Winston Churchill Speeches -- more info!

Discussion in 'Books' started by simulant, Mar 23, 2020.

1. simulant

simulant Member

Hi everyone, I haven't been able to find this particular edition of this set of Winston Churchill Speeches that I acquired. I believe these were sold in Taiwan at one point -- each book has a price stamp in the back with "NT.$" currency. But looks like a British edition of some sort. No real copyright dates or publisher names from what I can tell, but looking for some help here. Thanks!

IMG_5175.jpg
    IMG_5176.jpg
    IMG_5177.jpg
    IMG_5178.jpg
    IMG_5179.jpg
    IMG_5180.jpg
    IMG_5181.jpg
    IMG_5184.jpg
    IMG_5187.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This web page appears to have some information.

Debora

3. simulant

simulant Member

Hi Debora, I don't see a link -- what web page are you referring to?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Done it again! Apologies. Will go find and post.

Debora

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. simulant

simulant Member

Thanks! They have the same artwork on the dust jacket as the Cassell editions so maybe a generic edition of some sort.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, that's a puzzlement. I can't find any of the same edition either. We can assume Cassell & Co. was publisher from the shared dust jacket elements. And given paper quality, we can also assume an inexpensive edition. The first edition was published in 1948 but Randolph intro is dated late 1949 so we can assume yours published that year or 1950. Wonder why we can't find other examples.

Debora

simulant and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Curiouser and curiouser...

9. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

I think these are Taiwanese pirate editions from the 1960s - early '70s. There were a lot of these printed during the Vietnam war which came home with the troops, all of them done with the same cheapish materials, often with mis-sized jackets. I'm not sure of the exact scenario, but I expect that for whatever reason, Taiwan was not, for some time, bound by the usual international copyright restrictions.

I have a few here on the USS Pueblo fiasco, but you more often see popular literature. There are other Churchill titles in the same style, which you can see if you google "Taiwanese pirated edition" or "Taiwanese pirate edition".

simulant and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thought you'd know! Thanks for sharing information. Found these Taiwan editions of other Churchill volumes. Giveaways are no publisher details and reduced sizes.

"Taiwan pirate, details unknown, These cheap unauthorised editions are copies of the Cassell editions but at reduced size of 5.25 x 8 inches."

Debora

50150.jpg

simulant and 2manycats like this.
  11. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

o0234.JPG o0234_3.JPG o0234_2.JPG o0234.JPG o0234_3.JPG o0234_2.JPG Here is a Taiwanese edition of Catch-22 I had a while ago. It's an inch or two smaller than the original, and the quality of printing & materials is much worse than the real thing, but the text & design will be the same, including original publisher info. Once you've seen the real thing, it's hard to mistake them. This one had the benefit of a colophon (publisher's information page) in Chinese - a dead giveaway.

simulant and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I was hoping that you'd come by to post in this thread. I had thought of pirate editions briefly yesterday, but was in too much of a hurry to do any research that would back that up.

simulant likes this.
  13. simulant

simulant Member

Awesome, thanks guys!!

Draft saved Draft deleted