Winter in the Country

Discussion in 'Art' started by Garrison, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Garrison

Garrison New Member

Saw someone selling this on FB not sure if it’s an original or not. Very new into art and having a hard time identifying items. I asked if it was a print and they said it was a painting. Looks like George Durrie is the original artist but why would it be signed J W Roy and does anyone know what the value would be? Thank you!

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

an artist copying anothers work..????

the value is indeterminate ..

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

JW Roy made a copy of a George Durrie? This looks like a paint by number version of a Durrie. I'm not an art critic or valuer, but in my eyes the value would be in the frame.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

My first thought was paint by number as well. Sometimes you can tell because the painter would have painted all the white spots and then the brown ...

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, if it's a painting, I don't see ANY brush strokes, even on 4X enlargement!!! BUT, that being said, what I'm seeing here IS a copy of an image off another website, so who knows!!!

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like this is the original painting by Durrie. It is in the Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme, Connecticut. The first one on this page.
    https://florencegriswoldmuseum.org/...the-painting/about-the-artist/portfolio-page/

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

(I think it might actually be the sixth one down in the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts;).)

Winter in the Country: A Cold Morning, 1861

Garrison's seems a naive version to my eye.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  8. komokwa

the value just tanked !:vomit::woot::woot::woot::playful::playful::playful:

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1861. That's quite early.

Debora

10. komokwa

hey....the value just rose!!!

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes, you are correct. Good eye!

say_it_slowly likes this.
  12. say_it_slowly

I used to volunteer twice a month in the building next to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond where apparently the original of this painting is housed. I'd sometimes wander over to the Art Museum to eat in their cafeteria overlooking a garden with a small Chihuly installation among other things. Soft spot in my heart for the place though I didn't often have time to roam the exhibits:)

Figtree3, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You had me at Chihuly installation. My niece wants to major in art in college and loves blowing glass.

say_it_slowly likes this.
  14. say_it_slowly

It really is quite lovely to look across the little moat to the brilliant red glass reeds and sculpture garden beyond with the like of Henry Moore.

Sorry to take this thread so far off track.

upload_2023-4-8_8-27-1.png

Draft saved Draft deleted