Featured Wizard of Oz Book

Discussion in 'Books' started by Artvandalay, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

I really need help. My wife loves reading and for Christmas she has been dropping hints she wants to read the original Wizard of Oz book. I’ve been looking on line but I’m noticing different covers, dates, etc...
    We of course have seen the movie so she wants to see the difference between the two.
    What book should I be getting or is it the series I need to be looking for? Any information or pictures would be excellent. Thank you.

cxgirl, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Just look up Frank Baum and go from there. As an aside,every time I see your avatar I think of George Costanza !

pearlsnblume, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

I’ve done that and I think that’s what got me confused. So many different versions with his name on the book. Since the original books are not cheap just want to make sure I get the right book. If I don’t this could be a very expensive gift that continues after Christmas

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

If I were you I'd get a hard cover copy with pictures by the first illustrator, W. W. Denslow. It was reprinted many times so you don't have to spend a lot of money. You can get a nice used copy printed in the 1950s or 1960s for under $30 on ebay.

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Wizard of Oz is part of a series which may be some of the confusion. Assuming you don't want a first edition, I'd suggest an edition with the original W.W. Denslow illustrations. I'd also suggest you avoid an abridged version (since it would not be Baum's original work) although your wife might enjoy an annotated version (which will provide additional information about the work.) Here's a 100-year anniversary facsimile volume that might be of interest to her. Caveat: It may have more information about the work than she wants. Take a look and, if you don't think it's the right edition, we'll give you some other options.

http://books.wwnorton.com/books/The-Annotated-Wizard-of-Oz/

Debora

9780393049923_198.jpg

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

antidiem likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is an excellent suggestion. You might also consider -- for that extra personal touch -- buying a "pre-loved" edition from the year she was born.

Debora

9. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

19AB0118-5503-441B-8172-BB33A09D56B7.png Thank you all for the suggestion / ideas. This was the book I was thinking about. It’s number and signed by his great grandson

pearlsnblume, Bakersgma and Bookahtoo like this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Yes, that appears to be a facsimile of the first edition of the first book in the series. As you have found, it and the subsequent books have been reprinted many times in a variety of formats.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Careful of condition. Could be photograph but... that volume appears to have some cover staining which effects value.

Debora

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'm shocked to see that price is an issue.
    we can't call them "love", "dear", "doll", etc. all year long and then go for a cheap reprint. it should be at least one of the 10'000 range.

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

If you called me "doll" it might cost you more than 10,000...........:punch:

Jivvy likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

#MeToo

Debora

Jivvy and 2manybooks like this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

does anyone know what she calls me ???:kiss:

Jivvy and 2manybooks like this.
  16. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member