WJ Myatt & Co Birmingham 1904 Mustard pot? marriage?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by 916Bulldogs123, Aug 29, 2017.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hi all, Not sure what to call this A mustard pot. I did find the marks as WJ myatt & Co and the date mark e for 1904.
    It has the handle missing, And i am not sure about the glass either. maybe a marriage.? Not that worried, it was $1.00 at my local thrift. atree 20103.jpg
    atree 20105.jpg
    AAAAM.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I suspect a marriage with no handle and no collar. What is that thing on the top - actually, what do you suspect is missing from the top? The other end of the handle? And there should be a hinge, but that's missing too.

If you scrapped the top, what would you do with the glass?

3. 916Bulldogs123

I don't see where a hinge would be, just thought it might sit on top of something. with a cut out for a spoon. Must have been decoration on the top, or handle. But not sure.

4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

5. Bakersgma

Here's one of the same era that gives you an idea of what I was expecting to see. Notice the wide collar and the thumb-operated lift to the top.

Yours has too much blank space in the glass between the top as it is and the beginning of the cut design. Definitely something missing there and when the collar came off the hinge, etc. went with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331304834421?rmvSB=true

MrNate likes this.
  6. 916Bulldogs123

I'm confused. if it is a marriage then the original would have had a hinge and handle? the silver is perfectly smooth all over and i see no where that a hinge would have been, I am thinking it was more like the example MrNate posted. Ill have to post this glass on the glass board to find out how old it is. maybe is is missing the silver ring around the top. or a marriage like i thought originally.

7. Bakersgma

I should have been clearer. :) Yes, I do not think this top belongs to the glass bottom and the top that actually belongs would look similar to what is in that listing. It is entirely possible that the top you have did just lift off of it's original container (although the piece that's been bent up and over is a bit of a puzzle.)

8. 916Bulldogs123

Here is a top view. The cut out for the spoon is a little bent, i think that is what you meant?

atree 20117.jpg

9. Bakersgma

Duh - what I saw in the second picture wasn't a bent piece at all. :facepalm:

It's a good thing my new lenses are in! :watching:

Let me ask another question. How tight or loose is the top on the glass? Is there space for a collar?

10. 916Bulldogs123

It fits pretty snug, But there is a 1/4" ridge on the upper part of the jar, maybe it had a band there that could have made it look better.

atree 20119.jpg

11. Bakersgma

What originally struck me was that the side flange of the lid does not cover the entire distance to that ridge. That's part of why I thought it was mismatched.

12. 916Bulldogs123

I know what you are saying and i agree, but if there was a band at the top then there wouldn't be a space if the band went above the ridge 1/8".

13. Bakersgma

Draft saved Draft deleted