WM Rogers & Son Victorian Rose 1990 Serving Tray

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Brooke Anderson, Jun 26, 2019.

1. .

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The Victorian Rose flatware pattern was patented in 1954, so I would assume it likely that the tray (and other serving pieces) are of a similar age (at oldest.)

The "copper" you've heard about was not a great contributor to the weight of the piece. The base metal foundation was first plated with copper and then with silver, the copper being better at taking the silver plating layer.

I have no explanation of why an "identical" tray would have a different design or item number. Since you don't show the other one, I can only think that it is not as identical as you presume. A different size, a different, although similar, pattern, perhaps.

Brooke Anderson likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

According to Replacements, all the Victorian Rose trays have design numbers in the 19xx range. They have no reference to a number 260 in this pattern. Was it an online listing that you saw with the number 260? Can you find it again and post a link?

4. Here is the link to the tray. Also this isn't the exact one and I am still trying to find one like mine. There's is much more cleaned up! :) As far as the number I meant to say 290 not 260! lol Sigh... my brain! I have been looking for something like my tray for the last 2 hours...

http://www.zeppy.io/product/gb/2/14...-silver-platter-lg-23-x-14-handles-silverware

5. Bakersgma

Well, that's definitely not the same design - sort close, but that doesn't count in this context.

6. I just found this one but mine is larger and I cant see the markings on theirs...
    https://picclick.com/Vintage-Willia...tangle-Serving-Tray-Handles-252386843700.html

7. Bakersgma

Again - not the same design at all. If you really want to see another one identical to yours - use the 1990 number. Rogers was too prolific to assume that the maker alone is going to bring up what you want to see.

What else do you want know beside the approx date?

8. Yes I know it’s not the exact same. I can’t find one anywhere! My handles are square shaped. Also I can’t find any like mine with 1990 on it. I have seen a few small round ones but no back marking photos. I am still looking. :) I am pretty new to all of this and I love learning the history behind antiques. I just wanted to know about the date and was curious if it’s worth anything as well. Thank you!

9. Bakersgma

Well, at 24 inches, this is the largest size they made in a "waiter tray." As you can imagine from how heavy yours is, a smaller size would be much more appropriate for home use - which is why you can find the smaller sizes and round shapes.

Replacements doesn't even list one in this size. As for worth - it's worth what you paid for it. ;)

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

great pics.....;)

Draft saved Draft deleted