Wondering about the beads on this necklace...

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wenna, Jul 11, 2018.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I have several times put this necklace in a pile with other necklaces to sell as a lot (haha...if I ever get to that). But for some reason, the beads kept capturing my attention. They are not spectacular but they are very nice looking (I like the color and the lighter design detail). I think this is a 're-born' necklace. The clasp is your standard (vintage I think) sterling marked fishhook clasp. The spacer beads are not silver but they go very nicely with the blue beads. It is 27" end to end. Do you think these beads could be something special or just your everyday made yesterday beads? I can't tell an antique bead from a brand new one...thanks for looking and your ideas on this! IMG_4483-2.jpg IMG_4484-2.jpg IMG_4486-2.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

They are feather beads of unknown origin.

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Thanks Hollyblue...I was trying also to remember the name of that design feature!

judy and kyratango like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

It is really an attractive piece. Clasp looks older, spacer beads look newer. The glass feather beads could be older or newer as Holly suggested, but I'm guessing older. I am in my local bead shop a lot which has everything under the sun, and I don't recall seeing beads like that.

Agree, Wenna, this may be a re-born piece. Thinking that someone restrung an old necklace (old sterling clasp, old feather beads) and added new findings. Maybe some of the old feather beads were broken or missing, and they just created a new piece to add to the length. Speculation here, of course, but whoever made it did a beautiful job.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    wenna, judy and kyratango like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The Chinese are still making and selling that fish hook type clasp with many different designs.Older beads can be obtained at a number of beads stores,at one time the locals in Africa were digging up old graves to get the beads and sell them.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think the entire necklace is Asian, I see those spacer beads a lot in Chinese necklaces. Those beautiful glass beads are often called trade beads, and were made in different parts of the world, including Asia. In this case they could be Chinese.
    It looks like it has some age, but I don't know how much. I started seeing those rose beads from the mid 70s onward I think, but the costume joolies will know more about that.

i need help and wenna like this.
  7. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Yes, those beads are what leads me to think it has probably been restrung or re-made. Also, it is strung on new looking twisted wire. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments!

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The blue beads would look great on a necklace I am currently making for myself with 18th century Dutch cobalt blue trade beads and replica Javanese pelangi (rainbow) trade beads. I have made up the numbers with some old Indonesian black coral beads and goldplated spacers.

Barn Owl and wenna like this.
  9. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted