Wondering How Old These Chinese Koi Bowls Are

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dude, Feb 2, 2020.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I have 6 of these carp/koi blue and white (& some green in the fish bodies) bowls. I'm wondering if they're "Republic Period." One Etsy listing I found (see link) with similar bowls claims they are from the 50s, but I pause to believe it since the seller is also calling them "antique." I'll check Gotheborg.com again to see if I can find them. Thanks in advance for any replies.
    IMG_20200202_172615.jpg IMG_20200202_172626.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/759520...MImLul2fOz5wIVhZ6zCh0jlwLMEAYYAyABEgK3EfD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm
    /Chinese-Traditional-Carp-Fish-Blue-White-Plate-Bowl-Dish-5-5-Dia-Free-S-H/223845007883?hash=item341e33c20b:g:ZbcAAOSwN4FeGK80

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

1950's or more recent is correct IMHO. There are plenty of ill-informed sellers who think the definition of "antique" is anything over 50 years old.

3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

It's close to this in Gotheborg: 633. Mark: MADE IN CHINA SATSUMA. Chinese copy of Japanese "Satsuma" ware. Late 20th century. upload_2020-2-2_18-2-45.png

It also kindof looks like this:

178. Mark: I>Zhongguo Zhi Zao - China Made. Mark on modern Chinese porcelain spoon. The similarity to mark 260. Dish. "Qianlong Nian Zhi", seems to indicate a date around 1970.
    upload_2020-2-2_18-4-15.png

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thx. I guess I'll call them mid-to-late 1900s. Seems the sellers in the two links I put (eBay & Etsy) were pricing these a bit high. What do you (or does anyone else on here) think? I'm going to barter mine with an Etsy seller; don't want to rip the person off or cheat myself.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

You can buy them brand new here - and at every yard sale! My mother had a few that she used as individual salad bowls. The Etsy one is downright silly. The other one is off base although not as badly. :rolleyes:

Christmasjoy, dude and anundverkaufen like this.
  6. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thought they were both selling them in the neighborhood of $20 a piece? Was your mom into Chinese decor?

7. Bakersgma

The etsy one was over $40. The ebay one $19 and change.

No my mother wasn't into Chinese decor although she did have a very few decor items of that type. She bought the ones she had in the late 80's or early 90's, if I recall correctly.

Christmasjoy and dude like this.
  8. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Etsy one was selling the pair, but it is confusing because it shows a pair and says "bowls" then later states "bowl." I reckon about $10-15 would be fair per bowl as trade value. Always appreciate your feedback, especially how quickly it comes.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

These are Chinatown stock-in-trade bowls and can be any age - these are late 20th c.
    I eat brekky with one every day. Not sure if they are still made, China has moved on quite a bit.

Christmasjoy, dude and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Bakersgma

I didn't read the listings, just looked at the prices. The Etsy price was a 20% discount.

Christmasjoy and dude like this.
  11. dude

dude Well-Known Member

"Brekky with Blooey!" Would make a great book title, cover song, or independent film title! :)

Christmasjoy and blooey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted