Wondering what I have if anything. Nice carved wood piece made into coat hanger.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by J Dagger, Jan 27, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

To me this looks like maybe it’s off of a piece of furniture and made into a coat rack? Or meant to be coat rack all along? I have just an itsy sliver of knowledge in furniture, if that. I thought Jacobean revival or Java when I saw it but I only know enough to sound like I know nothing. Two very different styles obviously. It’s in horrible condition but I couldn’t leave it at the thrift store. Employee told me it came out of a witches house in one of the most historically important towns in the USA. Not that the story matters but it’s a good one! It’s been glued, screwed, and brewed to keep it one piece. I like the carving either way! 77269802-625D-4B86-9D61-8D9109719854.jpeg 60A24850-AC0D-4494-97BB-37EDA8FFB325.jpeg 01727CD4-8339-439C-B5C4-FC86B675F4C0.jpeg 9D08BB6D-6756-4E89-80EF-CBADC71F85FD.jpeg 77269802-625D-4B86-9D61-8D9109719854.jpeg 60A24850-AC0D-4494-97BB-37EDA8FFB325.jpeg 01727CD4-8339-439C-B5C4-FC86B675F4C0.jpeg 9D08BB6D-6756-4E89-80EF-CBADC71F85FD.jpeg 0D7083E0-F438-4FBF-B937-8D8EF042C67E.png

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm, it looks like Frisian carving, which is Dutch in origin, not sure though. Let's ask @Any Jewelry , she should know.

3. James Conrad

LOL, LOVE the story, even if untrue!:hilarious:
    While we wait on AJ, to see if it is Frisian, either Dutch or an immigrant to america, that "coat rack" modification is going to really hurt it's value.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  4. J Dagger

Ah yes. That could be!

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

6. J Dagger

It was definitely painful, poor thing barely made it out alive! Thanks for the ID! Any speculation to age? Nails which may or may not have been original didn’t seem too old.

7. Any Jewelry

My guess is 17th-18th, but @James Conrad may have to correct me.:)

8. James Conrad

Oh boy!!!! To be honest i don't know with photos provided, hold on a sec.
    Here we are! it was UPSIDE DOWN! I cropped, flipped and enlarged, so now we can actually see it WAS a Frisian Box, now a fragment of a box that has been mutilated :sorry:, I'll guess 18th century. I think is is old.

click to enlarge

fri resize.jpeg

J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

James, won't the coats drop off this way (in spite of the tag and shadows)? Or was that you intention, so it wouldn't be a coat rack anymore and could be restored to its former beauty?:playful:

J Dagger and James Conrad like this.
  10. James Conrad

LOL, Well yeah, the coats are in some trouble with my photo shopping, no doubt!:hilarious:
    I was just trying to orient it so i could actually know/see what it was!
    It's an early Frisian Box that has lived a very hard life.

11. J Dagger

Yayyyyyy that was my hope all along. I didn’t want to announce it and look like an idiot but that’s why it came home.

Edit: I know I said maybe revival but my real hope was that it was that old. Wanted to make a conservative guess though!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Any Jewelry and Ghopper1924 like this.
  12. J Dagger

It’s really cool that someone made the effort to save this piece of the box no matter how rough! Knowing that it came out of the town it did I figured there was a chance it was indeed that old. Thanks for helping on this one!

13. James Conrad

The reality is, as a fragment, it wasn't worth a lot without the "coat rack" thingy, my guess is someone decided to turn it into a "make-do" type project.
    Still, it is early Frisian carving so as a thrift shop buy, YOU SCORED! in my view.

14. J Dagger

Absolutely! Didn’t buy this one with hopes of it being worth too much. Absolutely about the cool factor and mystery. I was imagining it having come over on a boat and living in town through its fascinating history. The last chapter of its life supposedly holding a witches robes was a bonus after sticking it under my arm lol. With that said if I weave a good enough story I bet I could probably find a buyer at a number that would make it worth it.

15. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Sounds like it came out of Salem, Mass.

Very interesting conversation piece!

16. J Dagger

I realized I did unintentionally make it sound like that was probably the case. It was actually another historically important town in that neck. More important actually. I just try not to publicize where exactly I am. Although in the midst of a late night ebey/marketplace listing binge I once was making a post here. I was so tired and out of it that I ended my post the same way I end my FB marketplace listings “pickup is in _____, can ship or deliver for a fee”. I imagine people here thought I was trying to sell whatever it was here.

17. J Dagger

I’ve been assuming they meant the last owner was a witch. Maybe they meant an owner long ago was a witch...I’ll have to ask if they know what the story is supposed to be next time there.

18. James Conrad

No dimensions were given but, this may indeed be a small chest or a large box OR a SPOON RACK! In looking at enlarged right side up again photo, it is clearly early Frisian carving, i wonder what the wood species is which could go a long way in determining, from the Netherlands or USA?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    kyratango, J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. James Conrad

Back to photo shop thingy again! It looks like it could be tulip poplar, is it can you tell?
    If it is poplar, then your fragment is American, no doubt.

Click to enlarge

backR2.png

kyratango likes this.
  20. James Conrad

I would note that American carved Frisian Spoon Racks are HIGHLY collectible and rare, when one comes on the market they almost ALWAYS go for BIG money, like 10s of thousands of dollars.:cigar:
    I would add that most of the Dutch immigrant spoon racks known are from the New York/ New Jersey area as the Dutch have been there since the early 17th century.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted