Wondering when this puppy pin was made....

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lizzie, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

It's stamped brass I believe and about 1 1/2 inches long. I think it's a setter breed because of the tail and ears, although I'm not sure it really matters. It's just cute. I love the pearly necklace. Do you think it's 40's or 50's?

113.JPG 113.JPG 115.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Sweet Golden Retriever.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think (which doesn't mean I'm correct) that the pearl was added by a crafty person.
    It doesn't fit size wise with the dog. Which I think is a Cocker Spaniel.

The back of the "necklace" is not done the way I would think a jewelry company would have made it. There it no reason for the jump ring, and it's not properly closed.
    It appears that is a spot of glue holding it in place.
    upload_2019-8-1_12-15-3.png

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Ears are too long and tail too short.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Lizzie

At first I thought Cocker Spaniel because of the ears but the tail isn't right. Cluttered, you are probably right that the necklace was added. I hadn't considered that. By the way, no glue. The chain is snug. I realize it is an inexpensively made piece but was really curious as to its age.

i need help likes this.
  6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

This reminds of something I thought would be easy to find (personalized pins of different breeds), but I've only found the one and I think it may be older than yours (google images, dead ebay link):

temp01.jpg

i need help likes this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Years ago, I had a similar pin - it was a Scottie, tho - with the same chain & single pearl around its neck. It came that way... I had hoped I could unearth it to show it here, but so far, I've had no luck finding it.

I've been wracking my brain, trying to figure out how long ago that might have been. It MUST have been quite a while back, because I was never a big Scottie fan, and the only Scottie I ever "knew" was one my grandmother had when I was little.

I wish I could find it now!

8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Not a golden retriever or a cocker. Think you are right with the setter idea.

Just my opinion but I'd guess the 60s for a date.

Agree the pearl has been added along with the 'choke chain' collar.

i need help likes this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

10. wiscbirddog

SBSVC - hope you can find your scottie. To me the collar & pearl just look so cumbersome, like an add on.

11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I agree, but mine really did come that way...

judy and i need help like this.
  12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

i need help likes this.
  13. wiscbirddog

It would be highly unusual to find a vintage cocker pin made to show an un-docked tail.

i need help and judy like this.
  14. sch3gsd

sch3gsd Well-Known Member

15. Lizzie

Thanks to everyone for the help. I think I will just call it a vintage spaniel. Also it occurred to me after looking again at the pictures I posted that the pearl bead is out of proportion. In reality it is not so large as it appears. It is not a significant piece pf jewelry but it's kind of cute, fun little pin. Thanks again, you guys are the best.

SBSVC and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted