Won't You Join Me On My Fool's Errand?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Jivvy, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I have a genealogy problem. And it has yet to be solved by the level of DNA testing offered on sites like ancestry.com...

So, here's what I'd like you to do... the attached image has four photos (labeled A-D), each photo has one female subject. The images have suffered damage -- that effects appearances. I know.

And that's all I want to say of what I know (for fear of coloring your responses). So, here are my questions:

1) how many women are represented here? 1,2,3 or 4
    2) if fewer than four, which images are of the same woman (please use the alphabet labels for identification)

Please join me -- I know it's a fool's errand, but the more people I get to play, the more I can pretend consensus means something.:happy:

HCB.jpg

Chiquita and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

All the same person in my eyes.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I'd say B & C are the same.

A & D the same.

4. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A,C and D are the same, B is different.
    Funny how everyone sees something else.;)

Fid, Jivvy, bobsyouruncle and 4 others like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

A + D same or identicle twins.
    The other two have differing ear lobes.

Jivvy, Figtree3, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I see C as the odd woman out. A, B & D look like the same woman going by the naso-labial crease & set of the mouth, ear to the extent I can see it. C looks related.

Edit: I should add that my ability with faces borders on prosopagnosia.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

All the same. C is a high school graduation photo. A and D heading into the 1940s. B is a candid photograph so likely post 1900. And just an observation -- ears are always a good point of comparison.

Debora

Jivvy, aaroncab, QuincyAK10 and 4 others like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm still thinking because I don't have a strong opinion right now. But I just found a hilarious website comparing photos of Paul McCartney's ears to prove that the current Paul is not the original one. (The old rumor that the original Paul McCartney died is still alive and well, apparently!)

http://plasticmacca.blogspot.com/2009/12/fauls-false-ears.html

I'll make another post after looking at Jivvy's pictures a bit more.

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think those who see B as the odd one think so because of the different angle from which the pic was taken. No one's face is totally symmetrical, plus she's got more of a smile than the others.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

To me B's nose and eyebrows look different. And the hairstyle and clothing seems to be contemporary with C, who is a much younger girl. I can see C turning into A and D at a later age.

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Picture C looks to be taken late 1800s and is a younger version of D. D appears to have been taken about 1940s or a little later.
    Picture A could be later picture of C and D

Picture B looks to have been taken around the 1900s from the clothes. Looks too old to be the same picture of C.

I think all are related. But I think B is different from the others.

Look at picture C's eyes. The left one facing us is more round. The right has a slight droop. That is evident in picture D. Hard to tell in A.

Jivvy, Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Figtree3

Just as a change from all of the other posts ... I'll say that B, C, and D are the same person and A is different. Could be a close relative, though.

My original idea was that they were all the same person. But the DNA comment in the original post made me think it's not so easy as that. Still, if it turns out to be the case I wouldn't be surprised.

Just blowing up the consensus a little more for you, @Jivvy !

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Jivvy, Bronwen and judy like this.
  14. Figtree3

That is what I thought, too.

15. QuincyAK10

QuincyAK10 Well-Known Member

all the same person

Jivvy, Bronwen, judy and 1 other person like this.
  16. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

A and D look the same to me. B looks like a relative. C - ???

Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And to me, the nose and eyebrows in particular are the best giveaways that all are one and the same!!! Just at different times!! Although "C" made me question the most!!

Jivvy, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  18. QuincyAK10

QuincyAK10 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    AuDragon, Jivvy, aaroncab and 5 others like this.
  19. Figtree3

Interesting! How are the percentages assessed? I would have given some of them about the same percentages. Does the program come to any judgments about the percentages, or is that up to humans to decide? :)

Still, they all are pretty high.

Jivvy, Bronwen and judy like this.
  20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

They look like the same person to me, by age C, B, A, D. Now I will say that sometimes the person in a photo doesn't actually look a lot like the real person and some members of some families bear incredible likenesses.

judy, Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted