Featured Wood Box-Hand Painted Floral-Ornate Metal Design & Celluloid??..Who Made It??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SPERLS, Aug 8, 2018.

1. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

It has a label on bottom...I can`t make it out??...Any help appreciated! IMG_0903.JPG IMG_0902.JPG IMG_0905.JPG IMG_0904.JPG IMG_0906.JPG

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

?P. Visconde de Bivat or Bivar
    Maybe.
    Portimao- (Portugal)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Christmasjoy, SPERLS and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Not much help:

upload_2018-8-8_19-58-16.png

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The shop name is "Leal." Leal appears to be a Portimao surname; must have been a small family run ouriversaria or jewelry store.

Debora

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

P. Visconde de Bivar. The "P." stands for praca or square.

Debora

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The metal looks like sterling.
    Are you sure the trim is celluloid? Looks like MOP, but I could be wrong.

Very nice box.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Box won't be very old. 1960s or 1970s. Trim plastic mother of pearl look-alike. Could be silver but alpaca more likely.

Debora

Christmasjoy and SPERLS like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Antique? Sterling silver? Hum...

Debora

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I could only find on good comparison (but poor quality photographs) on Google Portugal. This one is older but I'm not sure I would call it "antique." Seller says it's silver and over 50 years old. Do notice the elaborate sides.

Debora

FORUM Caixa.jpg

FORUM Caixa 2.jpg

11. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm seeing, on blowing up the computer screen "P. Vistondede Bivat", bottom 'frown' shaped letters I'm seeing maybe a J off to the left, then P CRI?M?, and above all, I'm seeing LARGE 'frown'..."UU or UVRIVE 5 A? RIA?....and LASTLY, I see in the middle in large bold spaced letters straight across 'L E A L E' (not sure about the last E)......of course I could be 'blind as the proverbial bat' too :joyful::joyful::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

You can find these silver-mounted boxes pretty easily on Portuguese and Brazilian sites - many have their purpose indicated, in addition to the 'Jewelry' boxes, they're also found as glove, hankie, stamp, cigarette boxes, etc. The floral painting on this one seems uncommon...

I've had one of the Art Deco/Moderne style jewelry boxes for maybe thirty years, enjoying the incongruity of the ornate mounts on the streamlined box - it's veneered (probably walnut) and does appear to have celluloid trim and bakelite handle, but may well be other plastics (have seen some almost completely covered with plastic), have little doubt the mounts are solid silver of some fineness despite no marks being present.

Mine is packed away, but it's very similar to the one on the left in this pic:
    portuguesewoodsilverboxes.JPG

They're made in a variety of shapes, and the ones with the fancy ribbed sides like in Debora's picture are usually older, most made of Brazilian rosewood, those often bear pre-1938 Portuguese marks, usually second standard (.833), and have also seen them with labels indicating solid silver. When age is suggested, it's generally somewhere from early to mid 20th century...

Silver and rosewood: https://www.google.com/search?q=caixa+de+jóias+de+jacarandá+de+prata&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiWydWzreDcAhVKq1MKHdrOCCEQ_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=759#imgrc=_

Silver and wood: https://www.google.com/search?biw=1536&bih=759&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=b7FrW4XBEoeRggeti7WADQ&q=caixa+de+jóias+de+madeira+de+prata&oq=caixa+de+jóias+de+madeira+de+prata&gs_l=img.12...48439217.48439217.0.48441498.1.1.0.0.0.0.75.75.1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0....0.16-GZOkW4bo

~Cheryl

Figtree3, Jivvy, SPERLS and 2 others like this.
  14. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Thank you for ALL this Information!!...I LOVE this Site!!!

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted