Featured Wood carved mask

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Booker, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Booker

Booker New Member

Hi all,

The photo shows a small wood mask that's been in the family for years, but no one knows anything about it. I recently came across it and am curious about its origin. It's about 8" high and 12" wide including the removable ears. Any information you might have will be much appreciated. Thank you.

wood mask.jpg

cxgirl, i need help and judy like this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I was going to guess Mexican because of the bright colors and overall feel (and because I see more of those than I do asian masks), but I think it is more likely Sri Lankan, a cruder version of this one: [​IMG]

judy, aaroncab and i need help like this.
  3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Right, it's Sri Lankan, a variation of probably the most iconic mask from there, with the cobra imagery on the head and the two round pieces on the side (sometimes represented as the end of the snake's coil.)

Probably made for the tourist market, but similar masks are danced during the traditional "demon" dances, or the torvil ceremonies.

komokwa, judy, aaroncab and 1 other person like this.
  4. Booker

Booker New Member

Thanks so much for this information. Do you know of any other resources where I could find further details?

judy likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2018-7-11_3-10-39.jpeg

seeing as how yours is tourist grade at best, & it's been identified....what further details would you be looking for ?

aaroncab and i need help like this.
  6. Booker

Booker New Member

Well, age for one, and how it came to be in Manhattan. It was purchased in an antique store in Manhattan in the early 1950's by a long-since-deceased relative and it was old then. I believe Sri Lanka was Ceylon at the time, maybe even under British rule when the mask was carved. I suppose it was bought by a tourist and later sold to the Manhattan dealer. I doubt I'll ever uncover it's history, but I thought it was worth a shot, just to assuage my curiosity. Funny how that happens.

judy and i need help like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ok, I get that !

My thoughts would be that if bought not long after WW2.... in NYC...that it was a war bring back....made during the war.....for sale to foreigners .....& the guys wife didn't want it in the house anymore cuz it creeped her out & didn't go with MCM design...

but that's my take on it.:rolleyes:
    Good luck finding out more than that.:)

judy, JohnNL, Taupou and 2 others like this.
  8. Octaviano

Octaviano Member

Yes, not mexican.

Draft saved Draft deleted