Wood carvings from Asia

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by billyd3us, Oct 20, 2017.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I got these 2 wood carvings today from a yard sale. The 2 fighting dragons are carved from a light wood, I have no clue on age, they are big though.
    The heavy carved lady I don't know what she represents, she is about 4 foot tall.

Any ideas on these 2 pieces ?

Thank You

Billy D. 031.JPG 032.JPG 033.JPG 038.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

They need a good dusting. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I've spent much of the day in "cleaning mode."

KingofThings, judy and kyratango like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I had a dragon carving earlier this year and posted it here, it was a tourist piece from Bali, the wood was Albizia - maybe the same for yours? I notice though yours has glass eyes, mine didn't.
    DSC08597.jpg

4. billyd3us

No worries, I cleaned today too...

KingofThings, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. billyd3us

Thanks cxgirl, yes probably from Bali but mine is a light weighing wood, finely carved scales.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the bulbus nose on the dragon looks like chinese basket work......

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Neither of them are from Bali. Balinese styles are different.

She is a Thai lady in a welcoming pose. She could have been made to stand by a door to welcome guests. The wood is probably teak, the wood of choice in Thailand.

The dragon piece is mainland southeast Asia, I don't know where exactly. It was made from separately crafted pieces. The teeth, tongue, scales seem to have been made separately, the head itself is basketry, as komo said, the eyes are glass. The base also looks woven, like basketry.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  8. billyd3us

Okay good to know, Thank You komokwa.

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. billyd3us

Very cool, Thanks. I just can't find this type of wood on the dragons, it's very light.

10. Any Jewelry

It could be that the entire thing is wicker, with wooden details glued to the basketry base.

11. billyd3us

Oh yeah, you could be right. Though I have been searching wicker and cannot find anything similar.

12. Any Jewelry

Maybe it is Vietnamese? Worth a try.

13. billyd3us

I stopped by the mobile home where I got it. The lady said her parents traveled to China about 3 times a year to visit friends they had there, she said this was about 25 years ago when they brought this back. I wish I knew a value of it because I'm going to swap meet next Sunday or maybe even Wednesday.

14. komokwa

Putting a value on this is very subjective....go with your gut !
    but I'll add ..if it were mine....after a good dusting and clean with a soft damp cloth...I'd ask $75 for it.

15. billyd3us

WOW, Thanks. With all that work put into it and the size only $75, okay.

16. komokwa

Remember Billy, 2 things...
    1. China in 1992.....it's not old....and they made a million of everything...
    2. size......it's 2/3 rds base......compare to CX's carving.....where the base is only 1/15th...of the carving..!

17. billyd3us

Okay if they made millions, how come I can't find one like mine ? If I look for a 1992 toyota truck, I can find one because they made millions, can you find one like mine so I can compare

18. komokwa

Please...just because many were made, doesn't mean everyone who has one took a digital photo and put it online..!

OK....they may not have made millions of this exact item.....but they made more than one !!

I have a praying mantis...on a box...from China in the 60's.....
    part carved wood....part basket work...

They've been making these things for a long long time.

Now...I said go with your gut.......so if you don't find my thoughts to be to your liking...........make up some of your own.

19. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I can’t find where you gave the size of the dragon thing, all I found was “big,” a relative term. But I’m tired now an could have missed it.

20. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

I am hesitant to post these because I find it hard to believe that anyone would pay an amount even remotely in the neighborhood of what is being asked for them (what can I say? .... maybe I have no taste) But, I do see similarities in the workmanship and techniques, so perhaps the info in the descriptions will be of some help to you in finding more items resembling yours.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Figural-Cask...ts-99839046-/362085411409?hash=item544df8ea51
    [​IMG]
    https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/d...id-century-chinese-wicker-horse/id-f_7025143/
    [​IMG]
    https://fshenemaderantiques.com/new-arrivals/mid-century-wicker-rhinoceros
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted