Wood panel painting id help

Discussion in 'Art' started by SUPERJUNK1970, Oct 25, 2020.

1. SUPERJUNK1970

SUPERJUNK1970 Active Member

I purchased in san Francisco flea market. I found the sad little girl in commentary subject interesting..
    Some of the painting was starting to flake so I applied a light coat of varnish. While doing this I noticed the girls hand up in the air FOR NO reason, it wasn holding anything, then I realized the girl was at her mother's tomb and the mothers ghost was holding her hand..
    I loved the way the artist walk me thru a very emotional sad event for anyone but made it even sadder by making the mourner a child.
    Now I want to know what I own but I have no real clue.
    I know panel paintings were popular until around the 1700, the little girl is dressed like a doll , the world been doing that since the beginning of time, so it's hard to date by clothing.
    I dont know if its italian , English, or dutch.. the panel is bowed but i dont know if its due to time or was intended that way. I see no signature. I googled little mourner painting and nothing close to this subject came up. Some baroque painting are made in a similar style but not with this subject.
    Any help to correctly identify would be appropriated.

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a pretty fanciful interpretation. I see her sitting on a wooden fence. Is that an animal she's feeding to the left? Clothing is turn of the century-ish (20th.)

20201024_175658-ccfopt.jpg

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

That's an understatement Debora! :rolleyes:

Any Jewelry, Debora and aaroncab like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Two ducks?

5. SUPERJUNK1970

She is sitting on a bench.
    You can see the tombstones of other grave right behind . She has a dress or hat on her lap in one hand and other hand is just floating in air.. I'll post closer pics.

6. SUPERJUNK1970

Closer PICTURES

Attached Files:

7. Any Jewelry

You do realise she is not wearing mourning dress, don't you? In mourning she would be wearing black, or at least a dark colour. No flowers on her hat either, what would the neighbours think.;)

I see a goose in this one, lower right:

[​IMG]

She is smiling sweetly at the goose:

[​IMG]

8. SUPERJUNK1970

Here a close up of floating hand.

Attached Files:

9. Any Jewelry

That is a 'come an get it' hand, as she is looking at the goose.

10. SUPERJUNK1970

I see your point of the dress but it doesnt have to be the the day the mother died and she's alone. I see sad eyes.
    I realized art is subject to interpretation but I like it just really want to point DATE and country of origin if possible. I have seen paintings with ghost , spirits , angels or spiritual
    Subject, i just dont know what the classification and time PERIOD.
    Ps: i see the blurry ducks, one on right bottom corner and two by her dress.
    The painting could be dirty or in my interpretation, ghost ducks. She is in a cemetery.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. SUPERJUNK1970

Behind floating HAND, see the grave stone with cross.

12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Imagination is a wonderful thing. I hope to see a few ghost ducks this Halloween.

13. SUPERJUNK1970

Lol. It's not the first time , I been told I see pink elephants. That's why having an impartial and brutal honest opinion keeps me from becoming a hoarder and I learn a little every time.
    Thanks.
    My next post may be even more of a one in a million but if you dont look for treasures you'll never find them.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ah yes...& if you're treasure hunting there are always those willing to separate you from your hard earned cash..................;)

15. Any Jewelry

In many parts of Europe mourning dress was worn for a long time. There were regional differences, but if it was for a close family member, it could be as long as seven years.

Draft saved Draft deleted