Wooden “weapon” Beater of sorts !?!

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Pork Chop, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Pork Chop

Pork Chop New Member

Can anyone help identify this oblong wood weapon? My brother was given this with the back story of a service member was gifted it while stationed in Cambodia!!!

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Pork Chop.
    It has the swastika, which is often seen on Asian items, especially from Buddhist regions. The snake and arrow look more Shamanic, also not unusual in Asia.

I'll tag two members who might recognise it: @AuDragon (if you're checking in) and @Toba , your insights please?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Pork Chop

Pork Chop New Member

Thank you very much for the help. We were trying to figure out what exactly it is and if there is value. The person that gave to my brother is in his 80s now and could benefit it has value so we would be passing any proceeds of the item to him! Thanks again

4. Any Jewelry

This is an idea from another region, temple guards in the Hindu parts of Indonesia often carried a carved wooden stick as a symbol of their office.
    This could be something like that. It is just guessing on my part, but it could help our 'star researchers' to find something like yours.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It looks like there is a human face on the end opposite the swastika. Is that correct?

judy and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I thought so too.

7. Pork Chop

Pork Chop New Member

Yes

Attached Files:

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. 2manybooks

Interesting. Looks like a man in a suit and tie. In a previous photo we can see he has long hair in back. I am beginning to wonder if this might be Native American. The swastika does appear in Native American iconography, as does the wrapped snake and arrow.

i need help likes this.
  10. Pork Chop

Pork Chop New Member

Any info is great from you guys. I haven’t been able to find anything close. It I’ve also been focusing on the story that came with it rap the Cambodian part since the guy had showed my brother fighting sticks that he was taught to use while in country. Totally plausible the origin is not correct on our end

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that happens !
    If I had a buck for every sticker or tag that fell off one item only to be transfered to another..........:banghead:

12. Any Jewelry

A kind of talking stick, maybe? A talking stick is passed around in a meeting, the person holding the stick has the right to speak.

The gold on red meander motif doesn't look very NA to me, but who knows...

13. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

History of talking sticks in America dates from at least the 1500’s but only with the northern tribes. Southern tribes traditionally preferred making and carrying the more useful walking sticks. By about 1820 increased mobility of tribes from both regions resulted in an inter-regional agreement to create only a newly-developed stick, with characteristics of both items, which some historians believe was the first “walkie-talkie.”

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    komokwa, 2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

:hilarious::hilarious:

15. caroln

caroln Active Member

Maybe a ceremonial Klingon pain stick?? :joyful: (Sorry, guess you have to be a Trekkie to find that funny!)

Jivvy likes this.
  16. 2manybooks

I thought about a talking stick, and a dance wand, but I can't find any comparables. Maybe it is a boy scout project. They liked to make "Indian" stuff. Really hard to tell without more background.

17. Pork Chop

Pork Chop New Member

What Boy Scout project would be carving out Swastikas ??

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  18. 2manybooks

Before the Nazis co-opted it, it was a popular symbol in many cultures. :(

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Pork Chop

Pork Chop New Member

Oh totally. It was just as pieceful or loving as ting and yang before the Austrian took it. Boy Scouts reference just threw me for a loop. I’m starting to think this thing is a totally rare to mankind object since no one knows or it’s just something the old man made and gave a story to lol

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted