Wooden box,am I 18th century ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by johnnycb09, Jan 15, 2019.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. I found this fascinating box today after dismissing it at 1st glance thinking it some 1950s housewife hobby thing. Something about it just made me really look at it,and the more I did the more I thought it much older than that. Its 3 1/2 wide,6 1/3 long and 2 1/2 deep. The details on the mans face,clothing and hands are incredible . So what do yall think ? 18th century English ? Any and all input is appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AJefferson and i need help like this.
  2. johnnycb09

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Has more of a Conquistador look to me, so maybe Spanish or South American.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Very similar figure, but I think the one SIS posted is Scandinavian.

I think Davey might be correct on Johnny's being a Conquistador.

It's a great box.....I like it.

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like it, too.

judy, Christmasjoy and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Conquistadors don't carry baskets of roses! Or scythes. With the feathered hat, he does look like a Cusco School angel but don't think that's what he's meant to be. The box is Shaker in style so likely a modern decorative piece.

Debora

ecd722ba15f6f7dd3f4627ba9006f8ac.jpg

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Debora just put in what I was about to say. Can just see them arriving & announcing: Venimos llevando rosas!

The flower-bearing gent does seem to be a type, although the fingers on Johnny's make me think of Struwwelpeter.

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

My initial glance saw a helmet, spear and shield, on my second closer look I see what you mean :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  11. johnnycb09

Great info all ! So Im leaning to 19th century,possibly German or European,brides box/pantry box/box box ! I really dont think its less than 100 years old,you scratch the wood and can see its not artificial aging. Of course,I could be way off !

kyratango, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it's a harvest celebration with a basket of produce in one hand and a threshing flail in the other.

13. say_it_slowly

I'm wondering if the box construction is a clue. Both the Liveauctioneers auction box and yours seem to have large staples. They also seem to be roughly the same shape and have the same figure (with artistic variation).

Most of the boxes I've seen have small tacks/nails or finger joints but I'm not up on this type of box. Maybe someone else knows.

kyratango, johnnycb09 and i need help like this.
  14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I agree with you Johnny. Construction appears to be authentic antique.

15. say_it_slowly

Well I've not done too well finding information about staple construction and with my wi-fi cutting in and out I'm about through looking for now. Always interesting to look at things though and I even wandered onto a Norwegian museum site. I visited a Folk Art Museum while in Norway a few years ago but just don't remember anything about box construction.

Anyway, I found the listing where the first Liveauctioneers box I posted above sold along with the other three for $125 a few months ago.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/65067659_four-pantry-boxes-to-include-original-green-painted

I did find a couple boxes with staples (or possibly staples) though not the same really. Lots of boxes out there just not constructed in the same manner that I've been able to find. Of course my search terms are probably not hitting quite right.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/17273176_antique-american-pine-pantry-box-w-fine-orig-multi-col

staples?
    [​IMG]

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3541932_997-painted-pantry-box-round-bentwood-box-with-staple

[​IMG]

16. johnnycb09

Awesome information SIS ! Thank you so much for your efforts. What an interesting little box it turned out to be. I absolutely love it !

kyratango, i need help and judy like this.
  17. johnnycb09

I would like to lightly clean this ,any suggestions ?

18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Johnny,
    I would just go lightly with a slice of cheap white bread to clean it. When done brush off the crumbs and give it a paste wax. The bread will clean it a bit and the wax will protect it and bring out the colors better. I use a good shoe wax since it has carnauba wax.
    greg

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Any chance it's a Tarot image?

Draft saved Draft deleted