Wooden chest - Dowry chest? Indian? Not sure...

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by aaroncab, Feb 23, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Picked this up this morning - looks quite old to me - but I've been wrong before :) Looks Indian to my eye - is this perhaps a dowry chest? Any other info anyone can provide? The front feet are copper - the back feet are wooden.

~

33031293976_3d429e2a5e_k.jpg 32947829261_6ef221be50_k.jpg 32692501910_d9db2546d6_k.jpg 32947828201_fb05b8da27_z.jpg 33032936366_f099db0ebc_z.jpg 32947821191_9fea1b95f7_z.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Indian.

Debora

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Rajasthan, to be precise.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you. Not my area of the world.

Debora

5. aaroncab

Thank you for the information :) do you have any idea on the age of this?

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Not an expert in this kind of thing, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least 19th century. The hardware seems to have some honest age and just the general look of it. Again, not an expert, just going on a few older Persian and Indian things I've seen and sold over the years. Sometimes if something is really beat up it can look older than it is, but my gut says this is genuinely older.

I was searching around on Google and one thing I noticed was how your box seems to open. Just on that one section on the top, not the whole lid in other words. Might be a clue of some kind.

Looks like it has seen better days, but I think it is really cool piece.

aaroncab likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think it is genuinely old. However, the paint may be newer than the chest.

aaroncab likes this.
  8. leeddie

leeddie Well-Known Member

Are the nuts square? Can you tell if they are hand made or machine? Either way it is a nice piece.

9. aaroncab

I'll take some closer up pictures of the joints and hardware and post in here :)

leeddie likes this.
  10. aaroncab

Here are a few details:

~

32927225552_68dac86835_k.jpg 32927218932_e9e63d44f5_k.jpg 32956582871_0ca8fb7470_k.jpg 32956579041_9c13eaa4d9_k.jpg

11. leeddie

Here is a little bit of history on the hex nut, which would fit your chest's date if late 19th century.

Mass Production
    • In 1830 James Nasmyth, an assistant to Henry Maudslay, designed a pioneering milling attachment for Maudslay's bench lathe to make a large batch of hex-head bolts for a scale model they were building for the London Science Museum. By the 1840s, cold-heading machines became available for stamping metal. It took until the 1880s, when Bessemer steel mills began producing the new mild steel in accurate thicknesses and quantity, before cold-heading machines began punching out hex nuts. This innovation meant that nuts stamped from flat metal stock and machined to exact tolerances could be screwed onto bolts made by the new screw-making machines in mills anywhere in the country. Larger hex nuts quickly replaced square bolt heads in heavy industrial applications.
    Here is the link if you would like to see more info.

http://www.ehow.com/info_12194415_history-hex-head-nuts-bolts.html

fahraynk likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think perhaps a tad later than late 19th. Don't forget this was made in India, and is hand wrought, rather than industrial. Yes, Britain used hex nuts, but we were the world leaders in industry - early adopters and all that. They'd have taken longer to get to craftsman in India. I can't see why this isn't early 20th, though.

13. aaroncab

I'm a little confused about the hex nut thing these don't look like hex nuts to me...they are square?

14. leeddie

No, I thought there might have been a connection to the British industrial given the ties during the Victorian Empire. That is why I was asking about handmade or machine made. I didn't know your images could be enlarged as they can be and that is why I was asking if they were square.

aaroncab likes this.
  15. aaroncab

That makes sense... I can't tell for sure but everything on here looks handmade to me...including all the hardware.

leeddie likes this.
  16. leeddie

Whichever it might be late 19th or early 20th it is still a neat piece.

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted