Wooden mask

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by daveydempsey, Mar 16, 2019.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I'm not a lover of tribal art especially modern tourist crap, however I found this among my stuff at my lock-up today.
    If I remember correctly it came from a man's house who had travelled the world and he had tourist junk hanging on his walls that is of no use to man or dog.

I have a feeling this is Canadian, @komokwa
    I was intrigued by the stamped lettering on the reverse.
    REATE CARVED

Or are there some letters missing CREATED CARVED ?

20190301_155148.jpg

20190301_155205.jpg

20190301_155215.jpg

20190301_155218.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. daveydempsey

Oh I forgot the measurements.:rolleyes:

Its as big as an elongated human head.:D

judy and Tom Mackay like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sorry , Davey...not from anywhere around here that i know of............:sorry:
    @Taupou

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. daveydempsey

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Will still have to look into that, maybe We can find one.

7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I just might add, "tiki masks" are a type of modern cross-cultural souvenir, with no tribal or cultural connections. They can be carved in Fiji, Hawaii, Indonesia, Africa, or the Caribbean...but all are fantasy creations, despite the numerous claims on line about their origin in some ancient Polynesian cultures.

Polynesian cultures never had a masking tradition. The did wood carvings, and statues (which in recent times evolved into the souvenir Tiki carvings, which in turn has led to the creation of Tiki masks) but there are no documented examples of historic wooden masks in Polynesian cultures, and no evidence that any Polynesians ever carved masks, prior to foreign contacts, and the resulting tourist trade.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree with Taupou.
    And would like to add that this bears no relation to the refined traditional art of Fiji. Fijian artifacts generally have highly stylized shapes and are made to look harmonious.
    I didn't see anything resembling this when I was in Fiji in the 70s (so glad I didn't), so it is a pretty recent thing. I wouldn't be surprised if our Chinese friends at Ali Baba have something to do with it.:facepalm:

I think the house on the forehead is supposed to represent a Bure Kalou, a priest's or Spirit house, a Fijian religious building, like the one on the right:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted