Wool tapestry

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by David78, Mar 6, 2021.

1. David78

David78 Active Member

Looking for help with information on this. Measures 38 x 47 inches. Very thick wool. Thank you for any help 4ACE2908-406A-49D6-9C85-07C145CADFB9.jpeg 8F2D44F9-9BDC-443A-AFC6-677F9249648F.jpeg

Roaring20s likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That looks like it's been put through the wash. What is the material? And how is the design applied?

Debora

Tanya and David78 like this.
  3. David78

David78 Active Member

Heavy wool I’m not sure how it is applied. I can see where it was tacked and hanging at some point. Don’t think it was ever in wash

4. David78

David78 Active Member

5917C350-17C9-453C-BEEF-4895D56EF910.jpeg Here is a little closer pic

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks felted in places?

David78 likes this.
  6. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

It looks like felt to me.

David78 likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Does look like wool felt or felted wool.

Debora

David78 likes this.
  8. David78

David78 Active Member

So is it wet felting?

9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Google wet felting textile art and you will get lots of examples.

David78 likes this.
  10. David78

David78 Active Member

So nobody can say yes or no
    Seems like this site has its own little circle and blocks everyone else out
    Kind of like the cool kids in high school

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Being rude isn't going to get you any answers.

Bakersgma likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

David, I think the reason you're not getting a "yes or no" is because none of us who have read your post can definitely tell you what your item is. I, for one, can't. And it would do you a disservice for anyone to guess or provide you with inaccurate information. Do wait until more forum members have read your post.

In the meantime, I can tell you that I personally wouldn't call your item a tapestry. It appears to be a woven (evidenced by the fringe) wool panel with hand-applied surface decoration. Given measurements, it would likely have been produced to be a small rug or wall hanging. I would think it "tribal" meaning produced by indigenous peoples somewhere in the world but I couldn't identify which group. My first impression was that it has been washed (which it shouldn't have) which caused the "felting" effect and damaged its usefulness.

Now let's wait for other opinions.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted