Featured Wool woven blanket?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Jtw1313, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

68D89E4A-4712-4652-B92A-BAFB8A54B1B8.jpeg 0E06A7AC-A9BF-4EAB-879D-F197D453E3DD.jpeg F33B6CD3-FC8E-4D44-9610-ED0CEA12BE45.jpeg 99981188-89A8-40E6-80B9-72C6045F5F0E.jpeg 0456E7CA-CC7D-4891-B614-CA3E00BE9AF5.jpeg If anyone could help with information on this piece it is appreciated. Has a seam down the middle. Not sure if Native American. Measures 71 inches in length and 35 inches in width

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Hi @Jtw1313

Could you please go back and use "edit" and "all full size" for your images? They'll load up in your post - much easier to view... Thanks and welcome!

I'm not sure on your blanket(?). The animals make me think Guatemala, but it seems to have something more going for it.

Others here will know.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Figtree3, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not NA...

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

Thanks for the reply I’m new here so I think I did it right please let me know if that is what you meant.

judy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Yes, that's much better - You can insert them after your text or wherever you leave your cursor. You can also drag and drop up to 10? on a computer.

J Dagger, judy and kyratango like this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Appears to be wool, woven on a backstrap loom which limits the width of the individual pieces. This is why there are two pieces sewn together to create a larger piece. Either Guatemala, or further south in the Andes. The costumes on the figures make me think Andean (with the hats), but the technique used to create the design (incorporating embroidery during the weaving process) makes me think Guatemala.

7. 2manybooks

@Taupou might have more insights.

komokwa likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The dimensions make me wonder whether it's meant to be a blanket? Or some sort of shawl?

And a late "Welcome" to you, @Jtw1313 !

9. PortableTreasures

PortableTreasures Active Member

I wonder if it's Peruvian--and alpaca wool?

10. 2manybooks

Having spent some time with my books on Guatemalan weaving, I did find some examples of similar human images, with the hats. So I am leaning more toward Guatemalan in origin. It may have been designed to be a poncho - with the center diamond where there might have been an opening for the wearer's head, and the figures reversed so that they would appear upright front and back. It appears to have some age.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, good thinking. Could be!

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted