Worcester Flight, Barr, Barr scent bottle?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Steve Shubinski, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Steve Shubinski

Steve Shubinski Well-Known Member

This bottle was part of my Mom's collection and she had done some research on it and believed it to be a Worcester scent bottle possibly from the Flight, Barr, Barr period. There is no hallmark of any kind which from what I could tell, was not uncommon prior to 1862. When held up to the light, there is a greenish tint to the porcelain which was also indicated as a good possible indicator. The flowers and butterfly are raised on the face and hand painted. The bottle is about 8 cm long. Hoping one of the experts can help me out on this one. Thanks in advance.
    worcester 1.jpg worcester 2.jpg worcester 3.jpg worcester 4.jpg

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I thought it looked like Royal Worcester late 19thc stuff rather than something made early by Worcester. Nice thing!

judy likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The shape is right, but the fact that the butterfly is raised isn't, imo. Nor are the colours. I don't think it looks British or Worcester.

judy likes this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi Steve, just a quick note, hallmarks are on metal, on ceramics it's just a mark :)

judy likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I didn't find any Worcester online with comparable raised decoration, not that that means much.

judy likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of Worcester in my time, never any with raised decoration like that. As I said, the colours look wrong as does the gilding. Worcester is way more in your face gold.

judy likes this.
  8. Steve Shubinski

Steve Shubinski Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the comments. Much appreciated!

Draft saved Draft deleted