Works of Art?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Makanudo, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Makanudo

Makanudo There is no such thing as simple.Simple is hard.

I like it and tend to take it for a serious works of art. I am not sure about the technique used though... a mass (plaster?) was applied aroun the sheet of glass, than formed by hand...
    SAM_1530.JPG SAM_1531.JPG SAM_1534.JPG SAM_1536.JPG SAM_1537.JPG

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Interesting. Was Erika Konig (don't know how to make an umlaut on my keyboard)famous or amateur?

3. Makanudo

Thanks for the comment Bev.
    I don't kow. I would surely like to find out more on this contemporary artist, I think is austrian

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Plaster applied onto a glass pane? It would seem too fragile to me.

5. antidiem

She may have made sculpture pieces, perhaps this will help you to find her name.

6. Makanudo

It is plasterish mash..
    It may be something else

7. antidiem

It looks like plaster to me too. There is a small crack here and there in the plaster, which probably had a hard time drying on the impermeable glass backing.

8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

20151129_194735_resized.jpg So the glass pane is still affixed somehow? Papier mache enters my mind... you can "toughen it up" by adding more fiber or even some plaster. I have experimented with making molds and then pressing papier mache mixtures down into them and letting them dry... I have some little ornaments on eBay... let's see if I can find a picture small enough to post here...
    There.
    "Emerging Doves"
    For a bigger picture, you could go to my eBay, if you like. :)

Edit - Using molds lets you easily make a lot and sell for cheap... I sell these three for $15.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  9. Makanudo

Applied arts I love, but am not an expert in.
    When I look at them they have yellowish hue not characteristic to plaster in my experience. Also how the ....k does it stick to glass? It must have another organic element to act as a binder

10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Silicone should do it...

11. Makanudo

I cannot see traces of such... Silicone should leave traces

12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

13. Makanudo

That was my first search...
    Geographically not likely. Also no similar work shown on the homepage

14. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Any hints to be had from where you got them????

15. Makanudo

Well ... flea market - stuff brought in from Austria

16. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

How can we know for sure that they're hand-formed as opposed to molded? I have certainly made some molds and then pressed papier mache - plaster mixes in and had pretty similar-looking results. Molds cannot produce certain angles and curves... they would not be detachable from the matrix. I can't convince myself one way or the other here. If they were molded and detached while still pliable (easy with papier mache mixes) the maker would seem to have added details before completely drying. Mak, you find the wildest stuff! :joyful:

17. Makanudo

My taste in art and pop art is certtainly not mainstream...
    I dont know what to tell you to your legitimate concerns... I dont know the answer as I am not an artist with a practice like you.
    I can only take more photos (close ups ) at your request to help you evaluate.
    :)

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I saw that, but her name is spelled the Anglicized way so I don't think it's her.

19. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Well, I have pretty much exhausted all my "expertise" at this point. I guess I would call it either a mold, mold with applique and carved additions, or maybe even a bas relief, and I would guess the material to be a mache-plaster mix.
    I hope some of our more traditionally-schooled members will be dropping by to see if this may be a style/venue which they recognize. I also wonder if identifying the figures/fashions/era might help.

Edit - Here is what comes up for "plaster bas relief mold" on eBay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bas-Relief-...aster-7-x-7-/252163515387?hash=item3ab61de3fb

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I think they're all based on famous paintings. Now, you're going to ask me to figure out which ones since I suggested it!

Draft saved Draft deleted